5694 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configure MSA30DB

Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

Configure MSA30DB

Hello all.

I need some help setting up a new MSA30DB. I just purchased a new rp3440 server w/HP-UX 11.iv2 and a new MSA30DB. Last week I setup the server and now I want to setup the MSA30DB but I canтАЩt find any information as to how to do that.

The MSA30DB has 6 72GB hard drives and I want to set it up as a RAID 1 (mirroring). Is there any special way/slot to install the drives? Is there any software that will help me with setting up the MSA30DB? When I was searching the HP website I found reference to a program for windows and Linux servers (HP Array Configuration Utility) but couldnтАЩt find anything for UNIX. Should I use SAM to setup the MSA30DB?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The MSA30 DB is just a disk drive enclosure ("JBOD" in traditional HP speak). The first 7 bays form one SCSI bus and go to one connector of the I/O module. The remaining 7 bays from a second bus and go to the other connector.

There is no RAID controller embedded, so you either need on it your server or you need operating system based software (Mirror/UX?).
Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

I have the HP-UX mirroring software but have not had the chance to install it. So, if I want to mirror the drives I should put the first three disks into slots 1-3 and the other three disks into slots 8-10? Is that correct?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, it makes sense to put mirror members on different SCSI busses.