108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

** Configuring JBOD 2300 **

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Gretton
Frequent Advisor

** Configuring JBOD 2300 **

I have an RP5470 running HP-UX 11. Attached to this server is a 2300 DISK enclosure. There are 12 x 36 Gig drives in the enclosure. From what I can tell this disk enclosure has two controllers. I would like to configure 6 of the disks for one controller and the other 6 for the other controller. Do any of you have a thought on how I can do this? If it can be done? We are very urgent in needing this done and my last resort will be to call for technical assistance.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: ** Configuring JBOD 2300 **

1. Both DS2300 BCCs should have identical dip switch setting, otherwise disk enclosure will not initialize;
2. switch settings at the front of BCCs: split bus (0 position) and SAF-TE (1 position). This way there will be two independent busses dedicated for each BCC. In this mode left BCC will drive disks in slots 8-14, and right will drive 1-7. After connecting BCCs to different SCSI adapters use MirrorDisk/UX to configure logical volume mirroring
Eugeny
Michael Gretton
Frequent Advisor

Eugeny:

I kind of understand your response. It looks like one BCC is contolling 7 disks and the other is controlling 5. Do I need to make this 6 and 6 and is that possible? Is it really necessary for an effective mirror?

Mike
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

What Eugeny's saying is that in "split bus" mode, the left half and right half of the drive DS2300 are on different busses. To get 6 drives on each bus, put drives in slots 1-6 (for the first bus), and drives in slots 8-13 (leaving slots 7 empty) for the second bus.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Yes, to create a redundancy your original data and mirror copy should reside on different SCSI busses. So do as Vince said, and create mirror copies at disks installed on/seen by other SCSI adapter.
The workflow should be:
- 'balance' disks across busses (see Vince's reply);
- pvcreate all needed disks;
- include all needed disks into one volume group (vgcreate);
- create original logical volumes (lvcreate) pointing LVM where to create them (indicate path to physical volume within VG to create LV on), use only one set of disks (seen by one HBA);
- create mirror copies (lvextend -m) on disks seen by another HBA.
Note: better plan where volumes will be created first, draw diagram, and then create. This diagram will help you not to make a mistake and will serve as a reference in the future
Eugen
Michael Gretton
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Gentlemen...got it done. Very well done. Thank you,