Disk Enclosures
1745857 Members
4554 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Convert RAID1 to RAID5 - Smart Array 5i DL380 G3

Mark W Lawrence

Convert RAID1 to RAID5 - Smart Array 5i DL380 G3

I have a DL380 G3 with a Smart Array 5i controller.
I have 2x36GB drives (RAID1) and 2x72GB drives (RAID1).
I have an extra 72GB drive and wish to add to convert the RAID1 to RAID5 seamlessly and without loss of data.

Is this possible ?

regards,
Mark Lawrence
4 REPLIES 4
raadek
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes, it is possible - you can do that on-line via ACU (Array Configuration Utility).

I assume you are willing to convert 72GB mirror only, i.e. use 3x 72GB for your new RAID 5 set.

Otherwise (using all 5 HDDs with mixed capacities) you would effectively use only half of the capacity of each 72GB drive.

Rgds
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Mark W Lawrence

Hi,
Yes, I only want to convert the 72GB drives RAID1 to RAID5.

Do you have any idea on the length of time it will take ? Does all disk activity need to be prevented ?

regards,
Mark
KiranKumar_2
Frequent Advisor

HI,
Theoretically, time set for 1GB data rebuild would take 30-40 Min but that depends on the load and the data type on the server.
Mike Rizzolo

I have a similar problem but with an ML370 and with a twist.

The IT person that initially set up the machine installed Raid 1 36GB drives with a 9GB boot and 25GB data partition. It's running W2K server SBE and the exchange stubs are on the 9G partition. I have no space available to do anything.

I want to replace the existing drives with 3x73GB drives at Raid 5. Problem is I want to increase the boot sector volume to at least 40GB, the 2nd volume to 100GB then reuse the existing 36GB drives as a live backup location until I replace the tape backup units. Oh, and after I do this I am upgrading to W2K3 SBE. I can't do this beforehand because I have no space available and I want to retain the original drives in case of a problem.

The question is, if I break the mirror and replace the drive with a 76GB drive, I assume it will initially look like a 36G drive (9G/25G). Then when I rebuild the mirror with a new 76GB drive, will the partitions look the same proportionally? (9GB brcomes 18GB)? Then if I convert it to Raid 5, would it become a 36G Partition?

This is an acceptable option .

Oh, by the way, the backup software is Backup Exec 9.1

Any thoughts or ideas?