108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Create LUN for VA7100

SOLVED
Go to solution
Linda Cooper
Occasional Contributor

Create LUN for VA7100

FYI: We have the Windows GUI for creating a LUN.
We have added 6 disks. We have 427.757 GB Unallocated space. How large should each LUN be assigned? (LUN 1 = 20 GB, LUN 2 150GB, and LUN 3 = 144 GB) I need to create LUN 4 and I am not sure if it needs to be all in the same LUN or add more than one. As you can tell I am a novice so
please be very elementary.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

There is no general recommendations or limitations here. The size of the LUN has no impact on performance or security. It is up to your own needs. If you need one large volume, create just one LUN.

If you don't need all space immeadiate it is a good idea to leave some space unallocated. It is easier to add or increase new LUN then to schrink an old.

Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

How large should each LUN be assigned? depend on your need.
Infact. OS working with logical volume via mout poit. logical volume was create base on volume group. On OS LUN is physical volume. Volume group contains one or many LUNs. Like this
LUN=pv| |lv
LUN=pv|=>vgxx=>|lv
LUN=pv| |lv
so if your created LUN is small, you can merge them in to vgxx and create lv on it.
NOTE: SMALL LUNS IS GOOD FOR PERFORMANCE
BUT: MANY LUNS IS DIFFICULT TO MANAGE AND CLARIFY.
HP is simple
Linda Cooper
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your responses.
So if I understand correctly it is probably better to create 2 more Luns and also leave some unallocated.