DL 380 (no Gx)

Hi all!

I was proposed to deploy a system DL 380
(no G2,G3, ecc)

with:

2 x 18 GB
3 x 36 GB in Raid 5

In a configurator I found only 18 GB HD for the DL 380, so my question is:

is it possible the HDs configuration above?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Best regards,
Domenico
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: DL 380 (no Gx)

Domenico:

The original Dl380 was a 3U Prolaint Server. Stand configuration only allowed 4 SCSI Wide Ultra 3 drives. There was an optional drive cage to add an addition 2 drives in the front with the loss of your 5.25in internal drive slots. (as far as I can remember, it was technically the DL380G1, but was never labeled "G1", rather it was labeled DL380RO1)

Now that we are past that, I do not see why you could not use 36GB drives in the box. Most drives are backwards compatible and will operate at any previous speed. What I mean is.. a U320 drive will also operate at U160, U3, U2, Wide-Ultra, etc. speeds dependsong on the Smart Array/SCSI HBA you have.

The configurator probably doesn't know about newer drives and/or might see them as not available for use with the DL380.

Looking at the quickspecs...

" http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/north_america_10-2001/10495_na.PDF "

... support for up to at least 72GB drives is available. (I pulled the October 2001 quickspecs so 146's would probably work as well.)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Domenico ROTOLO

Thanks a lot for the ready answer, Steven!

Have a nice weekend.

d
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Please remember to close out the thread if/when you are satisfied with a solution. This lets others with the same or similar questions know that the solutions/ideas worked out and they can go ahead and try them for themselves. Also remember to assign some points to those that may have helped you, rating their assistance on your final solution... if you so choose.

You have a wonderful weekend as well.

Stveen
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Domenico ROTOLO

I was redirected to an update system specifications page,
where I found the answer I needed.