1748021 Members
4629 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

DL360 G5 and MSA20

PabloHoney
Occasional Visitor

DL360 G5 and MSA20

As you can see, this will be my first post here, so go easy on me.  Everything I've read so far here has been amazingly helpful.

I currently have a DL360 G5 running CentOS 6 as a home server for media streaming and for RHCSA/RHCE certification labs (overkill, but it was cheap).  It has a P400 controller with the 512MB cache, 2 146GB SAS drives in RAID0 for the OS and 4 1TB SATA drives in RAID5 for media storage.  I am looking to add a large amount of extra storage.  I would prefer using an MSA20 because it is relatively inexpensive to pick up on Ebay and fill with LFF drives.  The quickspecs for the DL360 say it is compatible with the MSA20 but I'm assuming I need a host controller card to connect to it. I'm looking to fill the MSA20 with 2TB drives.  I've read that I will be limited to 2TB LUNs, but these can be "combined" into a single unit within the OS (can't find the thread that I read that in earlier).  I've been reading these forums for a few hours for a the last couple days and just need a some clarification on what card is best to use and what kind of problems I might run in to trying to accomplish this. 

2 REPLIES 2
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G5 and MSA20

hi,

You need a scsi controller.

Please check the quickspecs of the MSA.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11942_div/11942_div.HTML

"

• Support for the Smart Array 6404, Smart Array 6402, Smart Array 642 and the Smart Array 6i Controllers

"

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
PabloHoney
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL360 G5 and MSA20

I read the quick specs, and saw those cards. If I am only running the 1 MSA20 is there any advantage to spending more on the 6404, or will the 6402 have sufficient memory to perform just as well.

Also, I need a PCI-X riser card for either of those cards correct? I found the 405154-B21 but want to be sure that this is the correct one.