4008 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Delete Logical Drive stuffed

Ian Killer_1
Regular Advisor

Delete Logical Drive stuffed

Hi experts...

I have an AutoRaid array 12L (virtually the same as 12H). THe person who originally configured it enabled the active hot spare after creating the Logical Drives. Last week a disk failed and there wasn't enough unallocated space to process the active hot spare. So I have to delete a Logical Drive in order to create enough unallocated space. I deleted the logical drive 0 and after the weekend it was still sitting there trying to delete the logical drive. I've since tried to delete the other logical drive also planning to restore the whole thing from tape. That didn't work either. Now I'm considering removing the controller battery without shutting the array down just so I can get a clean start. Ugly huh!

Has any one had a similar experience?

Additional: The busted disk has been replaced and all disks are fine. The control panel LED flashes amber, which is a state not defined in the manual. The warning state is on contoller X which is the primary controller. THe LED on controller X flashes but not randomly as you would expect with activity. It flashes contantly. All modules pass initialising tests.

Please find the output of ...
> arraydsp -a /dev/rdsk/c2t5d0
in the attachment.
Where ever the gypsies rome.
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Delete Logical Drive stuffed

Hello Ian,
in order to product number it's autoraid 12 (not 12H!) and latest firmware for these controllers is HP27;
Disk reported as missing although there are all possible disks installed;
Autorebuild disabled. In case of disk failure it will not rebuild. If one more disk will fail then data will be lost;
Rebuild priority is high - host's perfomance will be impacted during rebuild;
WDTR (wide) and SDTR (sync) are disabled.
ALL possible bad warnings are present.

I think that LUN 0 is used by software as communication LUN (like in VA and FC60), so deleting it need additional caution.
I propose the following:
- shutdown host;
- enable SDTR and WDTR from the autoraid's front panel;
- change autorebuild to on and priority to low (optional);
- shutdown autoraid from the front panel;
- turn on autoraid;
- wait until it will come ready;
- power on host and wait until it will boot in multi-user mode;
- check storage subsystem with 'ioscan -fn' and 'arraydsp -a' commands.

If any trouble please let me know. Post outputs of these 2 commands here as attachment
Eugeny
PS. make sure you have backup of autoraid's data
Ian Killer_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks Eugeny...

I just need to get the host avail so the customer can approve decommissioning. I disabled auto rebuild cause it was failing and slowing me down.

I managed to get the host to talk to the array and deleted the LUN0. When I deleted the device files (like the manual suggests) it could no longer see the array validating your LUN0 cumunications LUN threory. Deleting the LUN and rebooting fixed the warnings and allowed a rebuild.

Gonna try to recreate the LUN0 now.

Thanks again for you help.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Excellent. The prove of my thought is that querying array you used c2t5d0, what's corresponding to LUN 0 of disk array.
If you need more help on this autoraid issue post questions here with 'arraydsp -a' and 'ioscan -fn' attached.
Good luck!
Eugeny
Ian Killer_1
Regular Advisor

No, I deleted the device files and tried to use the device files for LUN1 with arraydsp and it failed. After replacing the device files for LUN0 worked regardless of which device files I used. Cool.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers