New Discussion юеВ

Re: Deleting Arrays on a MSA1000 with HP Array Configuration Utility

SOLVED
Go to solution
ManuelPereira
Advisor

Deleting Arrays on a MSA1000 with HP Array Configuration Utility

Hi,
I have a MSA1000 with 8 72GB HD in Array A that have 6 Raid5 volumes,i have created with 6 142GB HD (the free bays) an Array B that have 6 Raid5 volumes too, and move the data from the old HD volumes to the new HD volumes. Now i want to delete array A.

Question: If i delete array A, what happens to array b?

I don't want to loose array B it's the new cluster disks and it's online.

I'm using Array Configuration Utility 7.0.1.0
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Manuel:

I believe "Array B" just gets labeled "Array A" if any change at all takes place. You should not lose any data, nor should you lose any access. SSP settings should follow if any renumber/reletter'ing takes place. The only major restriction with the MSA that comes to mind is that you can not delete lower numbered Logical Units in a single array when there are higher numbered LUNS configured.

I.E. You have Array A with 3 logical drives (1, 2 and 3). You can not delete Logical Drive 2. You have to delete Logical drive 3 first, then 2.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
ManuelPereira
Advisor

Thank you.
I'm not using any of the disks volumes in array a, and the disks volumes in array b (cluster disks)have manual assign letters, can i acess Array configuration utility in one of the cluster nodes and delete array a without having to stop cluster nodes and affecting cluster disks?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you haven't done so already, you should delete any cluster resources that are tied to those drives. Once deleted, you can safely unpresent the logical drives using SSP or by deletion.

I would wait until the cluster is mostly idle and/or try to get a maintainance window "just in case", but there should not be any problems.

I assume you have already defined new resources for the new disks and the data is all accessable and the cluster working properly.

Yes, you can access ACU from one of the cluster nodes easily and perform the changes there. As long as the disks are NOT cluster resources, the cluster should not even blink at the changes.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
ManuelPereira
Advisor

Thank you again, i'm gonna wait for Saturday and delete the array a "just in case" everything goes wrong. and then remove all phisical disks in the array a from the MSA1000. becouse i'm gonna nedd that bays for future expansions. i will send you news when i have don it! thanks.
ManuelPereira
Advisor

OK, i delete Array A and a warning message apear about possible restart needed then an error message, but after restart everything was fine. Array A was deleted and Array B was renamed to Array A.tanks for all.
ManuelPereira
Advisor