New Discussion юеВ

Desperate for an answer: AutoRAID 12H disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alex Georgiev
Regular Advisor

Desperate for an answer: AutoRAID 12H disks

[Duplicate post to HP-UX sysadmin and Storage disk array groups.]

I normally wouldn't do a duplicate post, but I *desperately* need answers to my questions!

Purchasing person in my department bought some 18GB drives from the cheapest possible reseller. Every single one of the drives comes up as unsupported after I insert it into the AutoRAID.

I don't want to "force include" the disks.

I'd like to make sure that the disks really are unsupported, and that the problem is not in the AutoRAID. I'd like to be able to go to my boss and tell him "Look, we got cheated by the reseller. These hot-swap modules do not have the original disks in them!"

Does anyone know where I can find a list of disk models supported by an AutoRAID 12H array?

I'm not talking about the hot-swap module model numbers (A3713A, A3714A, etc). I'm talking about something that has the actual disk model numbers, such as Seagate ST39204LC.

Or, is there any way to match up the hot-swap module S/N with the disk's S/N or model number? Again, I suspect that these hot-swap modules have been put together by the reseller with the wrong disks in them.

Also, just so that I cover all my bases...

By any chance, is there more then one model of AutoRAID 12H array? How can I be sure that my 12H really does take 18GB drives, and isn't limited to something like a 9GB drive?

(Yes, I do have a 12H and not a 12. I am running the latest controller firmware: HP62).

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? Any tips on how to avoid buying unsupported drives in the future? Maybe recommending a trusted (and value priced) reseller?
7 REPLIES 7
Robert Bennett_3
Respected Contributor

Re: Desperate for an answer: AutoRAID 12H disks

I have not been in the exact same situation as you find yourself, but you may be running into a firmware issue. Here are a few url's that may be helpful.

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00269878/c00269878.pdf

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00269878/c00269878.pdf

and if you need to upgrade the firmware, this document should get you on your way.

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28366/lpg28366.pdf

Hope this helps.

B
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible." - Norman Maclean
Robert Bennett_3
Respected Contributor

I looked further into this and found this document:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=33733&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=lpg67022

So maybe not a firmware issue. I'll look further.

B
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible." - Norman Maclean
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

I would assume the disks are formatted to 512 byte sectors and the autoraid needs 520 - it might be worth a try.

I wrote a small howto for this as I often need to do this for a friends' netapp filer. (he buys the disks of ebay)

http://justblog.blogdns.org/netzwerk/stories/1306/

I've done this at least 20 times by now, so I'd say it works :)

caveats:
You will definitely need a freebsd host for this, unless You know how to set scsi mode pages via hp-ux's /dev/rscsi (I do not :-) )
it is in german, but the commands of course arent - read over it, if You want to try it, I can translate it for You tomorrow.

Also there's a collection of low-level scsi tools for windows at some website, but I do not have any indicator on it's name or how I found it. My advice would be the BSD camcontrol method, though I of course won't take responsibility for it :))
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

The 18Gb drives are ST318404LC, but with HP firmware installed.
This may be why you are getting the unsupported message, as they may not have HP firmware
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

Alex,

This is one reason to be involved in the process yourself if at all possible. At my last company, we were able to exclude Purchasing completely when it came to non-desktop IT purchases because they don't have the know-how. Management always waited until the last minute, so we were always scrambling and couldn't afford the inefficiency.

In my experience with resellers, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. I had a similar experience to the one you have (only with a Model 12 and they were sold to me by a reseller I trusted at the time--but ceased to shortly thereafter, after several bad experiences in a row).

I've had good experiences with some of the San Diego-based resellers (such as Stack and Star). But it really comes down to finding a sales/technical team at the reseller that you *trust*, in my opinion/experience. No reseller is wholly trustworthy or untrustworthy. Either find an individual whose technical expertise you trust implicitly (I found one and followed them from company to company) or learn it yourself, I guess.

HTH,
Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
Alex Georgiev
Regular Advisor

The drives in the hot-swap modules sent are:

2 are HP 18.2GB A 80-F309
2 are HP 18.2GB C 80-H008
1 is a Seagate ST318404LC

So only the ST318404LC ought to work. It has firmware HP04 on it... I'll guess I'll give it another try.

As far as the block lenght - all other drives in the RAID array currently have 512 byte blocks.
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Ah, ok then forget about the blocklength thing, until now, I only knew about the clariion driver.

Maybe You can obtain and upload the hp-supported firmware?

Sending the disks but would still be the better choice. :/
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.