108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Diff luns in the same HBA ??

Bugs_Bnny
Occasional Contributor

Diff luns in the same HBA ??

Hi guys,

We have got a new EVA. My question is
1) Can I use the same HBA to show EVA luns and some other LUNS (..say LUNS from an XP512). I am using HPUX 11.11

Has anybody tried this. Any suggestions and views are welcome.
Thanks
Better ask and be a fool once than never to ask and be a fool forever
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: Diff luns in the same HBA ??

Yes you can. (of course it would be better if you use different ones, but yes it is possible to have different LUNS from different arrays on the same HBA. You just have your zoning set up to see both destination ports.

I've not done this with an EVA/XP512, but with different EMC disk arrays, 8530's/Clariions.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Bugs_Bnny
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply michael.
One thing about this scenario is that the EVA requires securelun manager s/w configured on the HBA's (for failover purposes) , but the xp512 does nor require secure lun manager. I am wondering if both of this will coexist on the same HBA ..without any problems
Better ask and be a fool once than never to ask and be a fool forever
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Well, it might work, but it is not supported by HP! HP only supports tested and working environments.
The only currently supported configuration is:
HP-UX server with seperate HBAs for EVA and XP.
In order to have multipathing support for the EVA you need Secure Path v3.0B.
The XP multipathing will be done by HP-UX built-in PVLINK.
The two storage environments have to be separated (zoned or dedicated), so that an individual HBA only sees either the XP or the EVA.
Support for EVA and XP on the same HBA and Secure Path for EVA and XP is expected 2H03.
Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Gordon_3
Regular Advisor

HI Michael,

I am very interest in yr finding, u say EVA is able to mixing with EMC Symm & Clarion? Coz Clarion has it's Navisphere agent and EVA has secure path agent , u mean 1 machine 2 agent running through single / two ( failover ) HBAs able to see this 2 disks? Will seperate failover case work without trigger other to failover also? If yes it will be very cool, can u share what u have test under this situation? Many thx.

Gordon
Gordon
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

No, today you cannot mix EVA with XP, VA or EMC.

The reason is the Secure Path software, which is needed for the EVA - it's incompatible with the XP, VA, EMC, and many other devices.

We are working on a version that will cover our entire product line - MSA, EMA, EVA, VA, XP all from a single version of Secure Path. Look for it in the next few months.

But for now... you would need different HBAs for the EVA than the other devices.

EMC requires their own software - PowerPath, which has the same problem... it only works with EMC products.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.