1748171 Members
4401 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disaster recovery

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Disaster recovery

have a 2 drive mirror set, drive 0 and 1.
The system is using a Smart Array 5304. I have created a drive rotation of 3 drives for the purpose of Disaster recovery. What I do is once a week I remove drive 1 and replace it with the next drive in the rotation and it the new drive is rebuilt with the information currently on drive 0 and thus I'm back to a mirror set.
Now here is my question: I want to do a failover test and my understanding is that I can do this by shutting down the system, removing the current 2 drive set and replacing them with the last drive from rotation set. Now I would place this single drive in slot 0 and I should be able to just boot normally and basically have the system as it was the week prior. Remember I'm taking the week before drive 1 and placing it where drive 0 would go. After the test was completed successfully, I should just be able to shut-down the system remove this drive and replace with the original two drives and reboot back into the current system.
No problem to do that if I use a integrate array controller
but with the 5304 smart array controller big problem this controller don't boot.
If I clear the system with erase utility and put back the original disk no problem to boot.
but if I try to do with one disk only nothing work
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Disaster recovery

Why don't you try drive in slot 1 instead of slot 0.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I try this is the same problem,
If your search in this forum 4 people ask this question
and Compaq give 2 answer
answer #1 this should be work no prolem.
answer#2 this is very hard to do and we don't support take your tape backup.
But Compaq never try.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Compaq try and confirm the problem.
the controller 5300 don't support the drive roaming
Old compaq and integrate smart array controller support drive roaming
Mylex 2000 support drive roaming
this is a major bug and no solution now