7209 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disk move from 5i to 6i

Sean McGough
Occasional Contributor

Disk move from 5i to 6i

Hi

I have a Windows 2003 server install with applications etc, I wish to move to a new DL380 G4. I have done this before from a G2 to G3 by just pulling out a disk and moving it to the new hardware. No problem as they are both 5i RAID controllers. unfortunatly this doesn't work for the G4 as it is a 6i RAID controller. I get a blue screen (0x0000007B) Inaccesable boot device on Windows startup. This is normally due to an incorrect driver but the driver I am using is the 5.62.0.32 that is for both the 5i and 6i RAID controllers.

I have called HP and they said this operation isn't supported.

I don't want to reinstall all the apps.

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Neil MacMurchy

Re: Disk move from 5i to 6i

I have had a similar experience (see my post further down) but you have gone further than I if you can get redundancy. When I swapped my drives from a DL360 to the new 380G4 I also recieved the inaccessible boot drive, but I then procedded to do an install of (in my case) 2000 ent. on top of. During the boot up of teh CD I specified teh new drivers and selected the 6i controler. at the install it then recognised the installation partition. instaed of choosing a repair I choose to hit install. it then detected the previous install and asked about repair. it basically did an upgrade to my WIndows install with teh new drivers. I later ran the PSP after a reboot and had to fix a few odds and ends but both of my servers are up....HTH
Sean McGough
Occasional Contributor

Okay I seem to have found a way for this to work. The process is as follows :-

1. Load the latest RAID driver (5.62.0.32 at writing) on the source server (DL380 G3 with 5i and 2003)
2. Import the attatched registry file
3. Shutdown the server and move a disk or disks to a DL380 G4.
4. Boot & You're all done!

The registry file primes the servers registry with the plug and play ID of the 6i controller.

Hope this helps you as much as it has me!

Sean.
Mark Sherwin_1
Advisor

Now that's clever Shaun.

Billy Steeghs

This solution works great even if you use ghost images with Symantec Disaster Recovery. We tried on both 2000 and 2003 servers.

Brilliant. Do you take donations?
You saved us a lot of work.