New Discussion юеВ

Disk occupancy level on EVA

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sajeev2007
Frequent Advisor

Disk occupancy level on EVA

Hi,
How do I find how much of space is occupied on a virtual disk. Eg. If i have a 500GB Vdisk, I need to find out how much of that 500 GB thats allocated to a particular server has data in it. its like when you see properties of your c drive you see a disk size / free space / piechart. i dont really need a pie chart but i need to know how much is occupied.
4 REPLIES 4
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Re: Disk occupancy level on EVA

Hi,
Disk occupany of a disk from command view is exactly that. It tells you how much of the disk is being used from the point of view that it has been allocated as part of a Virtual disk - well probably several. It does NOT tell you how much data is on the disk - just what has been allocated. I know of no way to tell actual DATA occupation from command view.
I guess your OS is not windows? so you may want to specify the OS concerned for a answer.

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

You should specify your os regardless, if the question could be OS dependent. And just because the os is windows, doesn't mean that by not specifying it, we will all automatically assume that it is.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Sajeev2007
Frequent Advisor

I need this info for multiple OS, i have solaris, windows, Linux, AIX
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

You need to check from the operating system level.

The VA7000 series storage arrays can show how much storage was ever written to a LUN, but as it is a block-server (like the EVA), it cannot tell if the blocks are still in use or if the files have been deleted.