Disk Enclosures
1752618 Members
4643 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DiskArray Model 20 - How to configure.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Hemmingsen
Occasional Advisor

DiskArray Model 20 - How to configure.

Hi:
Does anybody know how to configure a HP Disk Array Model 20 on a K-Class running HP-UX B.10.20 - but scheduled for upgrade to B.11i?

Is there a special tool for configuring RAID, hot-spares etc., or does is go via the SAM?

Your help is appreciated
Why take your-/myself so seriously?
12 REPLIES 12
Tim Medford
Valued Contributor

Michael - You need to use the gridmgr utility. A full description of how to use it is probably too much for an email.

It's a sort of a low-level, menu driven ascii interface. It seems intimidating upon first glance, but it's really very simple. I about went nuts when we got our first AutoRAID and gridmgr was no longer used.

Hopefully you received the manual that comes with the array. It has a pretty good description of the tool and how to use it.

If you don't have it, it may aso be available online at the electronic support center. I could also fax you the critical pages if you cannot find it anywhere.

Good luck,
Tim
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Those Nikes' ... I still have my notes (well not actually mine), can't remember where I got it from. You got to have the manual to do this. It's access from Grid Manager either through a MUX connection or directly connecting a dumb terminal to the array. I'm attaching the documentation, it gives good description on how to setup Grid Manager. I do not recommend using SAM, don't know it SAM can do the job or not.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Michael,

Here is a thread on how to configure the gridmanager for model 10/20 disk array,

http://us-support2.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=cf07cef8167504ec1e/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000051520635

Hope this helps.

Regds
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mike:

I think the best way is Grid Manager, in order to use that, you need to prepare a terminal and a serial cable first.

I attached two docs, one is a general guide, another one is for NIKE on K250, hope it is useful for you.

Shawn

Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, I only can attach one at one time.

Shawn
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

If you click on my name.. top left of this response, go to my top answers, the page 6/7 have very detailed instructions on how to configure the arrays.

You can use SAM from the disk and filesystems area.. or XSTM.. or gridmanager via the cu command.. or gridmgr directly via RS232 vt220 9600 baud.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Michael Hemmingsen
Occasional Advisor

Thank You for good feedback, guys. There is two ways of going about the configuration:
1 Via MUX connection and creation of a gridmgr0 user. This is very well described by the info found in the links above provided by S.K.Chan, Sanjay ("Here is a thread...") and Shawn Peng ("Sorry I only..."). One important issue about logging on using the gridmgr0 however: It doesn't work from a pts type terminal window (even though you set the DISPLAY variable to vt100 !!!) - you have to use a (dumb) terminal doing hw-emulation of vt100 (EM100).
2 Via direct attachment of a (dumb) terminal emulating vt100 (EM100) to the array. This is discribed in Shawn Peng's link above ("I think the best...").

Sorry S.K. Chan i ment to appoint your answer 9 points, but fumbled on the mouse!!
Sanjay your link ("Take a look at...) is a broken link!!
Bill Mcnamara: I can't find anything about 'my top answers' on your profile!!
Why take your-/myself so seriously?
rich reiser

The easy method, connection to the serial port for spa using a db25 to db25 cable via 70096 Console. The tui menu driven interface walks you thru all aspects relating to lun create delete and sp settings. Basic after the serial cable is plugged in.....