Disk Enclosures
1752618 Members
4272 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disks substitution on EVA6000

Peppe

Disks substitution on EVA6000

Hi, I have a Disk Group with 48 disks of 146 Gb.
I bought 10 disks of 300 Gb.
I have only 6 free slot.

How can I reduce first Disk Group to 44 disk? I would create another disk group with 10 disk of 300...
My EVA 6000 is in production.
(Sorry for my english)
Thanks.
Peppe
8 REPLIES 8
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Disks substitution on EVA6000

Assuming you have enough free capacity - you would ungroup 4 of your 48 146 GB drives. Once the ungroup operation has completed (this could take many hours), you can safely remove those 4 drives. Then simply insert the new 300 GB drives and form a new disk group.

I'n not sure though how you can have 48 disks with 6 free slots in an EVA. There's 14 slots per shelf so if you had 4 shelves and 48 disks that would be (14 x 4) - 48 = 8 free slots.
Peppe

>I'n not sure though how you can have 48 >disks with 6 free slots in an EVA. There's >14 slots per shelf so if you had 4 shelves >and 48 disks that would be (14 x 4) - 48 = >8 free slots.

Because I have other 2 disk group.
One with 40 disks of 250 Gb and another with 18 disks of 500 Gb.

Thanks

Peppe
Peppe

How can I copy my data from one to another disk group very fast?
I need to move my data after new disk group creation...
Thanks
Peppe
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The fastest option would be to create a virtual disk snapclone, but you need business copy licenses.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"The fastest option would be to create a virtual disk snapclone, but you need business copy licenses."

You can get a 60 day demo BC license.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Peppe

>"The fastest option would be to create a >virtual disk snapclone, but you need >business copy licenses."

Can someone help me for this?
Where can I create this clone? In Command View?
Thanks
Peppe
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Yes the option is in command view but you will ONLY be able to do this if you have the BC license.
To perform a snapclone:
In command view select the drive you wish to copy. Look at the top of the pane and you should see the "snapclone" tab. Click on this and select what you require.
Snapclones can be created from a different disk group, just select your new group, assuming that you have created it first.
Something important o bear in mind BEFORE you start the snapclone. Snapclones are a "point in time copy" so if files change while the snapclone is in progress then the updated file WILL NOT be copied when it is modified. The file will be copied as it was when the snapclone was started. To do this the EVA does a copy before write. You might also wish to stop all access to the virtual drive before you begin the snapclone as well for the same reason as you may well have open files.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi again,
Forgot to ask:
what version of XCS code are you using?
With XCS 6 and Command View V6.0.2 you can do a mirrorclone.
This is what it says it is, a mirror of the virtual disk you wish to copy. Use command view as I stated above & select the mirrorclone tab instaead. Select options as required.
The difference is:
Once the mirrorclone has completed you can "fracture" [HP term] by selecting the fracture tab. You will now have a complete upto date copy of your parent disk up to the point of the fracture. Remember to close files etc before you do the fracture bit.
Now you can mount it elsewhere for a backup, new disk, etc. If you wish you can also join it back to the original disk, but from your question this is not what you require.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...