5790 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Don't see any /dev/dsk entries with EVA - just rscsi

Keith C. Patterson
Frequent Advisor

Don't see any /dev/dsk entries with EVA - just rscsi

Hello all,
I have attached an ioscan outpout .jpg file.

If you notice, you will see the EVA devices as /dev/rscsi/cXtYdZ or whatever the disk is.
I was expecting to see two entries, one for the raw device, ie. /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ and one for the block device ie. /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ
I have a feeling is that it's because we have not yet installed Securepath which we plan to do of course.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Did you already present at least one virtual disk? The list looks like many copies of the SACD, not any virtual disks. Are you sure that the correct operating system type is set on the host entry?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Have represent any Vdisk to the host?

Do you see entries for "hsx" class in the ioscan output? Those represent the actual Vdisk to HP-UX .

The ioscan output shows all Instances/entries for those Vdisks through ctl and sctl driver which shows the SCSI devices as /dev/rscsi/c?t?d? . This is normal as per HP-UX I/O addressing.

Once you represent the Vdisks/LUNs to the host ( you need to configure that host with specific OS in CV-EVA ), the sdisk driver will get binded to them so you can have /dev/dsk or /dev/rdsk devices.

SP will create a virtual device path for each Vdisk/LUN by bunching all physical h/w paths to a particular Vdisk/LUN.

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Did you tried running the insf -e command?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Keith C. Patterson
Frequent Advisor

Yes I did. No luck.
I need to verify whether or not the vdisks were presented as well as install SP and some patches.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I read that you don't see the block devices, just the raw devices.

Yes, you need the secure path in HP-UX.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Keith C. Patterson
Frequent Advisor

Don't see block or raw devices for the dsk and rdsk entries.
Only see rscsi.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I have to change my glases. Also, verify that the host type is HP-UX in the command view, firmware levels, and cabling to the switch.
Keith C. Patterson
Frequent Advisor

The problem was solely related to the EVA. It looks as though the microcode had corrupted something.
After an EVA rebuild everything came up fine, including LUNS.
Thanks all.
Marius Pana_1
Regular Advisor

Could you please point out what you mean by an eva rebuild? We have a similar issue after a power outage.
"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." --Linus Torvalds