3921 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Downshifts & Timeouts

M.Duffy
Occasional Contributor

Downshifts & Timeouts

Hi all,
I have an issue with downshifts and timeouts occurring on one of my storage boxes, it is also causing corruption on one array, I am suspecting a faulty disk (due to it only affecting a single array)

My question is, is there any way to check the physical disk interface speeds?? i have seen it mentioned on another thread but didnt say how it was done

OS is Windows 2003

Cheers,
Mark
5 REPLIES 5
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: Downshifts & Timeouts

You should generate an report with the Array Diagnostic Utility and have it checked by someone inside HP or here.
M.Duffy
Occasional Contributor

Please find attached report.

Cheers,
Mark
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Smart Array 6i in slot 0

Physical Drive 2:1 Read Errors Hard 33, Some "Read Retries Exhausted" 72 days ago, "Recovered Data Without Ecc" recently

The other 5 disks are OK

Smart Array 6400 in slot 1

Physical Drive 1:0, 1:1, 1:2 show:
- Bus Faults
- Hardware Errors
- Under-run
- Data Overrun
- This io-process was killed by a xDTR negotiation

These 3 drives form a RAID 5 with 1:3 as spare

Physical Drive 1:3 - 1:15 show none of these

What kind of enclosure is attached to the Smart Array 6400? The SCSI ID assignments do not look like the HP typical ones.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Update firmware on the disks. 1:0, 1:1 and 1:2 are BF1468B26B with firmware HPB6. 1:15 has firmware HPB9 and shows no errors.

That model is one of the affected by this advisory:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00859596&dimid=1065800144&dicid=alr_apr08&jumpid=em_alerts/us/apr08/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category_Advisory(Revision/alerts

Which says precisely:

FIRMWARE UPGRADE REQUIRED to Avoid Timeouts and SCSI Downshifts...
M.Duffy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help so far, i have applied the firmware and i'm now keeping an eye on the logs

The Enclosure is an MSA30