5629 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dual Domain MSA70

wobbe
Respected Contributor

Dual Domain MSA70

Hello All,

At the moment I have two msa30's with a dual ports that connect to two HP proliant servers. Both servers get half of the two msa30's disks. So server 1 get's the disks on the left and server 2 gets the disks on the right.
That's 14 disks for both severs 7 in each msa.
I use those disk to create a raid one or 10 volume. The volumes are mirrored over both msa's so if one msa would completly die all mirror sets would brake but my server would still function. (this has never happened :-)

But now it's time for an upgrade. So I'm looking into buying two MSA70's (+new servers) and I'm hoping I could do the same setup as before with the MSA30's. I assume I need the dual domain option but what is a dual domain?
Is this the same as a dual port on the MSA30? and how will this "split" up the MSA70. It can hold 25 disks. 12 for server 1 and 13 for server 2 or is there perhaps no fixed boundery?
Or could I even hookup more the 2 servers?
And how about mixing all those different type of disks SAS3G (3G 6G) SATA how flexible is that? What controller whould I use, I assume a P800. Or would I be better of using an MSA60, bigger disks more speed and perhaps cheaper?
Lot's of questions :-)

Regards,

Wobbe
3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

the MSA70 can't be split in the middle like the MSA30 Dualbus. "Dual Domain" mean, that all disks have two paths to it. This is for more redundancy and reliability.

Maybe you should take a look at the HP StorageWorks 2000sa G2, an SAS storage system. This is more flexible then the MSA70, you can attach more servers to it, more features like snapshots and volume copies etc.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Thaks for you feedback.
The 2000 is iSCSI and I've been told that is is slower than the direct I/O of the MSA60/70
Plus with iSCSI I probably need to invest in some extra switches for the iSCSI network.
BDay
Frequent Advisor

The 2000 comes in iSCSI, SAS, and FC. You get to pick and choose. :)