1748033 Members
5088 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: E200 with Linux

Daniele Palumbo
Advisor

i have had to put the server in production.
anyway HP was unhelpful, if i ask to solve the problem (that is not only mine or ours, as confirmed by phone), they say that i need a software contract.

i am very tired, this is most likely the first and the last HP server.
e200problems

We have the same problem. We're running Ubuntu 8.04,

# dd if=/RAM/ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso of=/data1/testspeed
1425016+0 records in
1425016+0 records out
729608192 bytes (730 MB) copied, 55.278 s, 13.2 MB/s

/RAM is a RAM disk, /data1 is one of the drives connected to our E200.
At first I thought the problem was with the fact that Drive Write Cache was disabled, but I haven't noticed any improvement after enabling write using hpacucli.

We're using the cciss modules that came with the distribution by default. Is anyone using any other modules ? (i.e. my drive is accessed using /dev/cciss/c0d0p2 for example).
Adam Hansen
Occasional Advisor

I have the exact same problem - has anyone got anywhere with HP on this? I have a ML350 with an e200 controller with 128MB of RAM running firmware v1.72 with 6 250GB SAS drives. Help....
Bryan Buck_1

I am also having this problem running RedHat Enterprise Linux 5, is this specific to Linux? Has anyone tried using alternate file systems? I am using this system as a file server and the performance is so bad it is unusable, has anyone verified that the P400 actually works properly?
Bryan Buck_1

I forgot to mention that I have tried both the built-in cciss drivers as well as the HP provided drivers with no performance improvements.
Adam Hansen
Occasional Advisor

Has anyone replaced the array controller with something else (e.g. Adaptec 3085 controller)? I agree, my server is unusable on Ubuntu 8.04.1.

Thanks,
Adam
Daniele Palumbo
Advisor

I wish to try a P400.
i have mailed HP, no reply yet.

otherwise, if i have to buy something, i will get a 3ware.

but which is the cable connected?
i have to check inside the server to be sure.

bye
d.
Timothy Carlson
Occasional Advisor

I'll add that I have performance problems as well. Around 25MB/s with Bonnie using an E200 on a DL185 with 4 500G SATA drives in a RAID 5 configuration.

This is with RHEL 5.2 x86_64. I've also found the kernel thread where there is talk about updating the driver because of performance. See the ChangeLog for the 2.6.26 kernel.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.26

Search for cciss and you will find a patch submitted by Mike Miller of HP.

I tried the 2.6.26.5 kernel from kernel.org and still had serious performance problems. I think the performance was actually worse than what I was getting with the RHEL 5.2 kernel.

Tim
Adam Hansen
Occasional Advisor

Be cautious of the 3ware adapter - I read someplace (ubuntuhcl.org I think) that one of the 3ware adapters didn't even work.

I also talked to Adaptec, they said they do not support Ubuntu, but the driver source is freely availalbe. Anyone feeling up to the challenge?
Christoph Muster

I have the same problem.

We just bought 4 ProLiant ML110 with Smart Array E200.
I have tried Ubuntu 8.04 with same slow write rates.

I hope HP will provide a driver or firmware update soon.

Thanks