108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EMC/HP question regarding disk management via an EMC Clariion

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Noble
Super Advisor

EMC/HP question regarding disk management via an EMC Clariion

We are currently building a new server which has EMC disk assigned via a Clariion. On the old symmetrix arrays you could run a utility called inq which gave you the serial number of the disk so you could match it up with the LUNS at the back end to avoid contention across raid sets. The utility still runs on the Clarrion however the serial numbers are not given. We are just using PV links not EMC Powerpath and I can't see anyway of matching the disks up. Does anybody have any idea what I can do?
9 REPLIES 9
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Do you have /usr/symcli/bin/syminq

Does it produce the same output?

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Adam Noble
Super Advisor

We don't but the problem with that command is its designed for use on the symmetrix, I also can't simply pick it up and dump it on the system as it is a shared executable
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

What about using a GUI tools like ECC OE - not as convenient...but...it might get the info for you...

I don't have any Clariions - we tested one - didn't like the performance - opted for DMX's instead...

Strange that inq behaves different on a Clariion...

I would fire an email off to your EMC support team right away - ask them have to achieve this....

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Can I see the output of the inq?

Does it show the World Wide Name?

If yes, you could use that to determine the disk...

Rgds...Geoff
Adam Noble
Super Advisor

/dev/rdsk/c15t3d7 :DGC :CX600WDR5 :HP03 :Ch2 CONT :26214401
/dev/rdsk/c15t4d0 :DGC :CX600WDR5 :HP03 :Ch2 CONT :26214401
/dev/rdsk/c15t4d1 :DGC :CX600WDR5 :HP03 :Ch2 CONT :9437185

Sorry it wraps but I think you get the idea of the type of info you get!
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor
Solution

run:

inq -h

Look at options, maybe try inq -v, or inq -la

Rgds...Geoff
Adam Noble
Super Advisor

the inq -v gives a lot of data I'm going to trawl through it as it may give me what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help!
Bill Rothanburg
Trusted Contributor

Which version of INQ are you using? The latest version supports clariion. The -clar_wwn should give you the lun id from the Clariion.

I haven't figured out how to have it tell you which is the owning SP for the lun.
Adam Noble
Super Advisor

yes after a long search we discovered that we needed a later version of inq. Thanks for all the advice.