Disk Enclosures
1752805 Members
5662 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EMC Related Question

John Toynbee

EMC Related Question

I have an Oracle Database that currently lives on an EMC 8730. I want to improve its layout i.e do some physical striping accross the EMC. Any suggestions best practices?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Scott Hanson_1
Frequent Advisor

If you think you have EMC performance issues, the best bet is to use the EMC monitoring tools to check for this. They have a very good tool called Resource View which has support for Oracle. This will let you identify which tablespace in on which physical EMC spindle. From that you can determine which hypervolume to move it to.

They also have a tool called Symmetrix Optimizer, which will automatically move data around the back end of the Symm to give optimium performance.

Alternatively you can go down the traditional Oracle tuning road. There are loads of White Papers etc available on the web for this or just go on the course!
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Are you having IO performance issues?

I agree with Scott, that you should use the EMC tools first before trying to reinvent the wheel or wasting a lot of time.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Brian Dehn

Two suggestions:
1 - Use the tuning tool from EMC called DBTuner for Oracle. DBTuner is the only performance analysis tool for Oracle that will allow you to "see" down to the physical drive level within the Symmetrix. All other tools allow you to "see" down to the LUN (logical volume) level but not into the Symmetrix. This will allow you to see things like hot spindles and/or disks, layout of the Oracle database on the physical disks, etc.
2 - EMC has a white paper on best practices for laying out Oracle databases on Symmetrix storage arrays. You can get this paper from their website or just ask one of their support folks for it.