3268 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA 3k Installation w/out SMA

Amy Bach_1
Advisor

EVA 3k Installation w/out SMA

Hi All,

I will be installing a new EVA 3000 on one of our data centers this weekend. I have done installations of EVA 5000s in our other data centers and the SMA III. However, this installation of the EVA 3000 is difference since, the SMA is no longer required and was not ordered.

Unless I am mistaken, you can now load command view EVA on any supported platform and manage your EVA without using the SMAIII.

Has any one done an EVA installation without using the SMA? Are there any gotchas when configuring the SMS? Is there a specific order of installing the required software on the SMS (Namedly Command View and BC Server).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Amy

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA 3k Installation w/out SMA

Hello Amy,
unfortunately, 'any supported platform' is not correct. You only have the choice between the SMA and a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition server.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storage/software/som/index.html
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

HP OpenView Storage Operations Manager Offers the CHOICE of management server - either a management server or application host running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 EE or the HP OpenView Storage Management Appliance.so you can not use other OS.
HP is simple
Amy Bach_1
Advisor

Thanks guys! Now I know that only windows 20003 EE is a supported platform for managing the EVA. I am still a bit confused though as to how best do this or what the process is for configuring an SMS. I plan to do the following (after the EVA3k has been configured/initialized):

1. Load OS (Windows 2003 EE) on Server to be used as SMS.
2. Load latest drivers for supported FC HBAs
3. Install Commandview
4. Install OV SAM/Storage Node Manger (I is this required? Can you do with Command View alone?
4. Install BC Server (since we bought BC license)
5. Zone SMS and EVA
6. Make sure the SMS recognizes EVA

Does this seem about right? Please bare with me if I appear ignorant, but I got so used to the SMA.

Also, any ideas where I can find the StorageWorks Command View EVA Management Server installation guide? I've looked everywhere but can't find it.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Amy
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The list looks quite fine. You don't need OVSAM/SNM to manage the EVA. I would delay the installation of the BC server until CV-EVA can access the EVA. Solve one problem after the other.

The documentation for SOM V1.2 is here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=435210