New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4000 link failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andras Ordogh
Valued Contributor

EVA 4000 link failure

hello EVA experts!

we have an EVA 4000. one of the controllers has link failure. it's our main storage, so i can't stop or reboot it.
what i did:
- replaced the fc cable
- checked the sw port
- checked the wrong controller fc port

the switch side is ok (i can see the red dot), but the controller side there is no link (no red dot). i got out the GBIC, and put in a free switch port, the link is ok.

so I think the cable, the switch, the GBICs are ok.

what is the next? is there any fc card in the controller, or the GBIC connect directly to the motherboard? what is the next part that i have to replace?

thanks
andras
6 REPLIES 6
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Hi ,
You can try resync of the controller and if that does not fix its better to check with support team to see if its issue with the controller itself on which case you will have to replace.
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please check the SFP on the controller port.

Recently we faced the same issue. Controller port No Light. If your EVA is having 6200 XCS then there is a known issue, if link failed then link re-establish the LED will not be GREEN, it will be "No light", the resolution is to reboot that controller. The same issue was fixed in XCS 6220.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

With an EVA4000 you should be able to reboot one controller without the hosts losing access to the disks.

If you confirmed that cable, both sfps and switch is OK then next part would be the EVA controller to replace so a reboot of that controller first seems like a good idea.
Andras Ordogh
Valued Contributor

thank you for your reply!

ok, i'll check XCS, and if it is possibele, i try to reboot the wrong controller.

can i check somting before reboot?
can i reboot from Command view?
so if i reboot the wrong controller, there is no down-time on servers?

thanks
andras
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hey,

if you reboot the _broken_ controller the hosts should only lose the working paths to the controller you reboot.

Depending on the CV version it is a little different. But if you go under hardware to the controller with the link down then you can restart it from there. If not you can click on shutdown on the first page of the EVA, then on next page chose restart controller.

Have you looked in the controller event log?
Is it trying to log on?
What about the switch error logs? Anything happening there?
Andras Ordogh
Valued Contributor

hello all,

sorry for the late reply...

so i rebooted the controller, but no changes, the port is still failed.

we will replace both conntrollers.

thank you
andras