New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4400 parity groups

SOLVED
Go to solution
inex
Super Advisor

EVA 4400 parity groups

Hi

We have an EVA4400 with 60 disk drives. Does anyone know how data is protected with parity groups among the drives?

-inex
5 REPLIES 5
Ali
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Inex,

that depends on the raid level that you have configured on this BOX

Check this if u find some info here.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Storage-Area-Networks-SAN/EVA4400-performance-documentation/m-p/4712341#M46805

else provide your raid configuration so that we can advice you.

thanks,
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey,

The subgrouping of disk drives in an EVA is called "RSS" - this is a feature that happens in the background and you have no direct control of it.

Read up on "RSS" - redundant storage set. That is how the EVA is grouping the disks internally.
HP recommends having the amount of disks divisible by 8 for best practices.

This link will give you some more information as well:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Disk-Array/EVA-RSS-calculation/m-p/4665686#M35544

Basically if you have one disk group of the 60 disks and you have a vraid5 disk in there. Then you can lose one disk in each RSS before the vraid5 is gone.

If you have a vraid1 in there you can if you are lucky/unlucky lose half of the disks.

inex
Super Advisor

How can I see how many rss groups I have among those 60 drives?

-inex
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

If you capture a "controller configuration dump" you can see it in there.

Capture it by going to server options -> capture system information -> select "controller configuration dump".

It's in .xml format so it's a little hard to read but it is in there somewhere :)

It might be possible to get it via SSSU but I don't know how. HP took it away from CV because people asked too much about it :)

Optimal for you would be something like this: 8+8+8+8+8+8+6+6

But it depends in what order you put them in etc.
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

These RSS sets are dynamic and can change based on events in the eva (eg. a disk failure or addition of disks etc.). This is totally managed EVA internally and user has no control over it.
Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!