108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 5000 Failure

dominic_7
Advisor

Hello Manoj ,

This is really serious .
You say HP was not able to recover nor support.

I 'd really be interested in knowing the
current status of your EVA .

Did you manage to finally upgrade to VCS 3020 ?
Any ways 3.014 is not that ancient , and
should not have been a cause of failure .

How is the power situation at your end ?

let me know .

thanks & regards

Dominic
Andy McCreath
Frequent Advisor

Morning Manoj,

Could you please provide me with the final results too.
We are in the same situation as you.

Many thanks,
www.kimberly-clark.com
Manoj_28
Advisor

Hi,

We reinitilized the system

Regards
manoj
Donald Robichaud
Occasional Advisor

I am very interested in this thread. We were an early adopter of the EVA technology a couple of years ago. We were still testing the unit when we had a disk go bad and lost our entire disk group. At that time VCS was running a 1.x flavor version. Manoj's entries bring back some very painful memories. We had other issues and swapped out the EVA for something else. I find it interesting that the same problems appear to be happening and am concerned because our management has decided to purchase an EVA5000, because of assurances the past problems have been fixed.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

I can tell you that I was going to buy some EVAs and after hearing many horror stories (here and elsewhere) we will not be buying them. Instead we are going with the XP 12000. That will put more money into HP's pocket, so they don't really lose out. But I would not trust my data to the EVA. Maybe the next generation EVA will be better.

On the flip side, I have dozens of MSA-1000s that I've been using for a number of years and have not lost a single byte of data in 3 years.
Donald Robichaud
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the input Derek. We have an EMA8000 and have not had any issues. We also have older Storageworks boxes with HSJ controllers on legacy systems and have never had any major issues.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

If you have to use EVA's.. be sure you have a mirroring/failover between at least 2 EVA's. NEVER use just a single EVA as the EVA is not a very good single array solution.

I can suggest VxVM as your mirroring acrross 2 EVA's solution. It works well with SecurePath and hopefully the next generation of EVA's wil be more reliable and support native VxVM DMP so you won't have to need SecurePath.

FYI.. we just migrated from EVA5Ks to an XP12K where scalability is excellent and performance is predictable.
Hakuna Matata.
Donald Robichaud
Occasional Advisor

This is a question for Andy if he is still reading these responses. What happened with your EVA and did you have any downtime associated with fixing the problem? Thanks and thanks to everybody for their comments and suggestions.
Swami

Hi,

We are using EVA3000 for last 2 years & got 2 Hard disks replaced as well but it didn't caused any issue with data.

Currently we r in process to move our Production data to new EVA5000.

Is there any serius reliability issue with EVA5000?

Need some inputs from EVA experts.

TIA,
Swami
dominic_7
Advisor

I've seen a lot of references and recommendations to Veritas VXVM for mirroring across two EVAs .

HAsn't any one tried HPs Continous Access EVA , CA EVA ? which is the controller based
replication s/w offering with EVA ?

Also I've had a disk failure on a EVA with
single disk protection and VRAID1 , i did not lose anything .

All the people who have mentioned losing Disk groups because of a single disk failure ,have either created DISK GROUPS
with "NO" protection and used VRAID0
since no clarification has been made inthis regard.

Dominic
dominic@computerpoint.co.ug