Re: EVA 8100 adding new disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

Hi Uwe Zessin and all,

once again,
getting complex the scenario. i wanna discuss the whole case.
my system details:

Server: rp8440 (11iv1) and rp 3440 (11iv1)
-------------------------------------------
FC hba card:(from fcmsutil)
Driver Version = @(#) libfcd.a HP Fibre Channel ISP 23xx & 24xx Driver B.11.11.14 /ux/kern/kisu/FCD/src/common/wsio/fcd_init.c:Dec 12 2
007,00:42:46
SAN Switch ( hp storage works 4/8 SAN switch):
Kernel: 2.4.19
Fabric OS: v5.1.0b
CV EVA:8.0.0
RSM 4.0.8
EVA 8100
controller firmware:XCS 6.110
current installed HDD firmware level:HP02

requirements:

i need to add on new 32 HDD. out of those 24 HDDs have HP02 firmware (existing HDD in the EVA has the same firmware, HP02), 8 HDDs are at HP00 firmware level.

if i consider upgrade it comes complex as in production. like CV-EVA with RSM, RSM with HP-UX version, EVA Controller firmware with SAN-Switch firmware version....and so on

can i add new HDDs stright away?

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Yes... you can.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

Hi steven,

should i have to upgrade HP00 to HP02 level for 8 disk.

Regards/Morshed.
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

not a must, but I should. as Steven told it will take less than 10 minutes for 8 drives to complete.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

As stated previously... there is no guarantee that you can upgrade the new drivers to HP02.

Each drive model... and there are MULTIPLE part numbers/models for many of the drives have different firmware.

In other words... you can have 2 of the same size/speed disk... with different "current" firmwares.. 1 might be HP02 and the other HP01. It all depends on the part number.

The short story is... insert the drives into the EVA, grab the latest EVA Disk HDD Firmware Bundle, and let the update process figure out which firmware it should get.

***The new drives might NOT get HP02 because it is a different model number than the drives you have already.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

Hi,

after adding new hdd. i have to create new diskgroup and snapclone existing vdisk to new diskgroup. could anybody tell me what is vdsik container, is it mandatory to create snapclone?
what is the function of vdisk container? what process eva take place when i create snapclone?

Regards/Morshed.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I don;t do much work with BC, but to my understanding ...

a container is simply pre-allocated space on your EVA so that when you go to do a snapclone... you specify a container and the process of creating the clone (time wise) is reduced ... since the space is already allocated, the process just needs to start copying the blocks.

It is not mandatory to create.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Rajiv Kulkarni
Valued Contributor

A container only accelerates the creation of snapclone and is not mandatory, as Steve explained Container only preallocates space for snapclones.

Thanks,
Rajiv
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

Now after adding new HDDs (16x 300GB) we will create diskgroup 3 and copy whole existing vdisk from diskgroup1 to diskgroup3 by CV EVA snapclone. And we like to run DB and application from diskgroup3.

Operating system is hp-ux 11iv1. ServiceGuard Cluster is running on both node at DC and single server on DR ( need to perform on both site). How do I integrate new Diskgroup-3 (it will show new PV-links) into the existing cluster environment?

could anybody help me.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Forgive me for saying this, but you appear to have embarked on a fairly complex piece of work, without really knowing what you're doing.

You will get good assistance from these forums, but please don't come and blame people here if it all goes horribly wrong.

Regards,

Rob