5542 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA Fan Failure(s)

Johnc_3
Trusted Contributor

EVA Fan Failure(s)

Hi,

I have an EVA6000 and all the fan failure lights on all four fans are intermittantly coming on and going off every few seconds. Also, I had a fan failure last week; this was replaced. Yesterday I had another two (different) fans fail. These were simply ejected and re-inserted and the fans are now showing OK in Command View but running at approx 4000 RPM whilst the fans in the other controller are running at about 2000 RPM. The four fan failure lights are still flashing intermittantly.

Anyone have any ideas about his weird problem?

Thanks,

John
------------------
Kudos gratefully accepted - How to assign...
6 REPLIES 6
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Perhaps al strange thing to check.

But are you sure that your power cables are good connected, and that you don't have an intermittent problem here?
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Do you have 2 EVAs where Blowers are running at different speed or it's in 2 different enclosures?

Fan running at 4000 RPM (at double speed of norm) is an indication that other fan in enclosure is not functioning (but in your case you have identified both are working). It may be an issue of high temp, can you check the temperature on all the shelfs (including controllers).

Has it happened after the faulty blower replacement? You may try reinserting the replaced blower again, or the power supply itself.
Johnc_3
Trusted Contributor

We have a single EVA with 2 blowers in one controller running at 4000 RPM and 2 in the other running at 2000 RPM.

The temperature of the controllers are showing as 0C (which seems rather cold to me!) and they feel very cold when touched. The disk shelves are showing normal temperatures.

I'm now suspecting faulty temperature sensors....

------------------
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,

There are a couple of things you could try [order up to you]:

Remove one fan from each ctrl and then swap them over, repeat for other fans once things have settled down after the first pair of fan swaps. If the fan speeds for both ctrls are the same as before [for both ctrls] as you stated above after they have been swapped over then it is probably not a fan fault, but the management of them.

You could try restarting the higher speed ctrl from the OCP or cmd vw - recheck fans.
Remember, if you do go for this to do so at a quite period!

Have you upgraded ctrl f/w recently ?? For the second generation EVA's something called the SDC controls the fans. monitors ctrl temps etc. This gets updated when you do a ctrl code load and may have a problem? If it does and it thinks the ctrl is hot then that is why it would run the fans at a higher speed. This is unlikely, but is possible.

Have you checked the event log?? As this may provide additional information. To do this go to the top EVA screen and select "view events". From this screen choose the second menu option "ctrl event log". You will now need to look through the log for related info. This may take a while as there can be up to 20K entries in here!

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
George Genov
Frequent Advisor

I have the same problem. Have you managed to solve it?

BR

George
Johnc_3
Trusted Contributor

A shutdown and restart of each HSV (one after the other to ) seemed to sort it. Another symptom that I saw was that the temp sensors were all showing zero degrees - this was also sorted by a restart.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
------------------