1752571 Members
5142 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA HSV Upgrade

harsr
Advisor

EVA HSV Upgrade

I would like to upgrade my EVA 3k . We currently have 2 Disk enclosures and 2 HSV 100 . Should I also get a new HSV Enclosure if I get a new enclosure as i could not see any empty ports in the existing controllers

Thx in advance
7 REPLIES 7
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

The EVA 3000 only supports a maximum of 2 controllers (HSV100). So you cant install more than two controllers.

There are also limitations on how many drive enclosures you can have installed. I believe tha maximum configuration for a 3000 was 2C6D (2 Controllers with 6 Drive enclosures).

To achieve a 2C6D configuration you need to arrange the backend fibre cables in a loop configuration. There is a hardware config guide on the HP website that might be useful if thats what you want to do.

But firstly I would suggest you provide more details about your current configuration -
How many Drive encolusres have you got and how many more do you want to install?

mackem
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

The EVA 3000 only supports a maximum of 2 controllers (HSV100). So you cant install more than two controllers.

There are also limitations on how many drive enclosures you can have installed. I believe tha maximum configuration for a 3000 was 2C6D (2 Controllers with 6 Drive enclosures).

To achieve a 2C6D configuration you need to arrange the backend fibre cables in a loop configuration. There is a hardware config guide on the HP website that might be useful if thats what you want to do?

mackem
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The EVA3000 is limited to 4 disk drive enclosures. Without loop switches, the enclosures will be cabled in a loop structure - the controllers will stay.
harsr
Advisor

Actually we currently 2 drive enclosures with 28 72GB disks and the customer is going to move his exchange into a HA cluster .
My Query is whether there will be any perf issue if one more disk enclosure is added to the controller as now i am clear that EVA 3K will not support more than 2 controller.
I also have the option of getting a MSA 1000 storage and configure the exchange thro DAS . Can anyone please advice on which will be the better option.

Thx in advance
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"My Query is whether there will be any perf issue if one more disk enclosure is added to the controller as now i am clear that EVA 3K will not support more than 2 controller."

You probably will not experience any perf issues as the controllers were built to handle up to 4 shelves/56 fibre drives. Though, depending on how hard you expect to be hitting the controllers with I/O from the Exchange box, you can experience issues if you do not have enough drives to handle the i/o properly.

"I also have the option of getting a MSA 1000 storage and configure the exchange thro DAS . Can anyone please advice on which will be the better option."

The MSA is a SAN Storage Array and thus, is NOT DAS... Direct Attached Storage. I would go with 2 extra 5414 disk shelves for the EVA.

As for the ports on the back, all you do to add the 2 extra shelves is connect the the new shelves into the existing loop. Looking at the back of the EVA, you should see 2 loops. The loops starts at one controller, goes to the first shelf down, then that shelf is connected to the next shelf down, then that shelf is connected back up to the other controller. The second loop is similar, but generally reversed... starting at one cotroller, going to the very bottom disk shelf, then up to the next and finally back to the other controller.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Gotta love typos...

"...all you do to add the 2 extra shelves is connect the the new shelves into the existing loop...

should read... "...all you do to add the 2 extra shelves is connect them into the existing loop..."

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

I agree with the last comment re it really depends how hard you expect you Exchange servers to hit the controlelrs. I would also add that this will also depend on how hard you are currently hitting your controllers with your existing hosts.

If you're unsure I would always suggest doing some form of benching, although I know due to resources (or the lack of resources) this is not always possible.

I believe that Jetsress and Loadsim, both available from the Microsoft website, can simulate certain Exchange style loads on storage array.

mackem