New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA Management

SOLVED
Go to solution
ramiathp
Advisor

EVA Management

Hello,
I heard from one of the hp storage partners that EVA4400 can only be managed thru HBA and not network. so the server that is going to manage EVA4400 must have HBA.(unlike EMC clariion, NetApp FAS.)
is this info correct? can i have any supporting documents on this.
Would greatly appreciate it.
5 REPLIES 5
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The EVA4400 has an internal management module, from which you can run Command View. You access this management module through an ethernet cable and a web browser.

But be aware that the internal Command View cannot do everything that the External Command View can do. Current version is 9.1 for internal an external Command View.
ramiathp
Advisor

the proposal says CommandView, nothing about external or internal and i have not either heard about internal/external. My requirement is to have a workstation that can manage the EVA and do everything. can i achieve this over network or HBA is a must?
I remember working on EMC clariion where an IP was assigned to each Storage Processor then they could be accessed thru their management software (Navisphere) installed on a workstation over network for management purpose.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Internal Command View = ABM = Runs on the EVA and you access it through the network.

External Command View = SBM = Runs on a Windows server, it accesses the EVA through fiber channel.

The EVA4400 includes the internal Command View always (with firmware > 09006000), this is enough 90% of the time, but you need an external Command View to do some tasks.
susanta_dutta
Trusted Contributor
Solution

No, you don├в t need a HBA to manage EVA4400. unlike EMC, you don├в t even need to install any software on a workstation. All you need to do is assign an IP to the Array and manage through Internet Browser like IE or Firefox on a workstation over network using the URL https://:2372.

EVA4400 has a piece of HW, called Management Module, that can have the Storage Management Software(ABM version of Command View) running.

Optionally you can also have a general purpose Windows system with HBA connected to SAN, zoned with the Array, running SBM version of Command View to Manage the Array. This system need not to be dedicated to only to Command View. It can be used for running other applications.

ABM ├в Array Based Management
SBM ├в Server based Management

Regards
Susanta
CLEB
Valued Contributor

If you want to use HP Continuous Access to replicate between EVA's then the Server Based Management Command View is a must.