1752598 Members
5420 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA RSS Locate

Del_3
Trusted Contributor

EVA RSS Locate

Is there a way to do a locate (flashing lights)on an entire RSS set?

I was hoping for an SSSU locate command or similar so we dont have to do a locate on each disk in the EVA after we add shelves to achieve proper alignment.

We will be shutting the EVA down after locating the RSS ID's for the re-shuffle.

Thanks for your input.
8 REPLIES 8
Mustafa Gulercan
Respected Contributor

At Disk Groups menu in command_view eva;
select a disk.
And at disk drive properties click the Locate RSS button.

Regards;
Mustafa
Del_3
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, but that is not what I want to do. I want to flash all disks in an RSS group by specifying the RSS ID not the individual disks.

Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

Pretty sure there is no such command, but the SSSU "show disk full" will show rssIDs and rssINDs for all disks. You will then have process this to get the info you need. I have written such a script for openVMS. HP field service also has an internal script and they can generate a printout for you. This is better than trying to locate each rss and scribble down the disk locations.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Del_3
Trusted Contributor

Tom, Thanks for the idea. Can you post your VMS script?

W. Koster
Occasional Advisor

I used to use SDC (storage data collector) to make the RSS-overviews, but lately I discovered SDC's output to be corrupt so alas, it won't work for me anymore.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can do that!
In CV go to Hardware > Rackx > Disk Enclosure y > Disk Bay Z
Click on Disk Drive
Now you see a button : Locate RSS

This will flash all disks in that RSS!

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Del_3
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Peter but that wasnt what I wanted. There is apparently no way to use SSSU or CV to flash all the disks in a RSS set BY RSS ID. So I gave up and rolled my own. When you are doing the individual disk method in CV you effectively have to touch all the drives to be sure you have them all covered. I wanted to "Locate Disks RSS ID = 1" then put a number or similar on each drive so when you stop the EVA you could just re-shuffle.
W. Koster
Occasional Advisor

You could do a

ls disk full

in an sssu script and then parse that script to get a nice list with
diskgroup
rss-set
rssindex
shelf
bay

(I know I did, it wasn't that hard)