New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA - Terminlogies - Clarification Required

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

EVA - Terminlogies - Clarification Required

Hi All,

I am new to EVA. I am not able to catch up with few jargons. Pl. help.

(Since I am a bit comfortable with the VA arrays, it will be helpful for me if you can relate the terms with VA Terminology)

1. What is HSV?

2. Is the term VCS different from HSV? If yes what is it meant for?

3. What is "Code Load"? Is it related to Firmware upgrade of the controller?

4. Is CommandView EVA and the HSV Elements Manager are the same??

5. If a EVA has to be managed from a SMA, I believe some license key (of the EVA that has to be managed) has to be input using Commandview EVA. How do I obtain this license key?

6. Is Vdisk refers to a LUN?. Then what is the difference between vdisk and a virtual disk family?

7. Why do we need to create a disk group?. Can I relate a diskgroup to Raidgroup of a VA array (ex: VA7100 Raidgroup). How many diskgroups can we have on a EVA3000? Is it directly proportional to the number of controllers?

8. What is a Vsnap?? Is it something similar to the snapshot feature available with Netapp appliances??.

9. How a Snapclone differs from a Vsnap?

10. Is there a list of terminlogy mappings b/w HP and Premerger Compaq??

Thanks in advance,
Karthik S S

Too many questions :-( ... but I thought separate post for each one of these will only complicate the things further :-)
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
26 REPLIES 26
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
1 HSV (100 or 110) is the name of the controller in the EVA array. Not sure what HSV is short for (High ....).

2 VCS= Virtual Controller Software.

3 -
4 Yes, Command View is the new name.
5 -
6 Vdisk (Virtual disk) refer to a LUN , Vdisks can be grouped into folders.

7 Disk group is a set of physical disks but not exact the same as RAID set in other Disk Arrays. One disk group can contain Vdisks with different RAID levels. I am not sure about the number of groups but the general rule is as few as possible, mostly just one.

8 Exact, Vsnap is a snapshot of a Vdisk.

9 Snapclone creates a physical copy of a Vdisk

10 -

Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Thank you Leif ....

So is VCS a software/firware that is running on a HSV contoller??

Also does snap clone create a separate LUN that holds the copy of the original LUN? ( I mean does it mirror the data?). Also can this copy of LUN be used on a diffrent host? (Incase if the presented host of the original LUN is down.)

How do we achive point in time recovery using vsnap?

Thanks,
Karthik S S

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes, you are correct about VCS.

Snapclone uses a separate LUN, can be presented to a different host and can reside in a disk group different from the original. It is a "point in time" copy and independent of the original when the data is replicated. Not an actual mirror.

I am not sure I understand your last question but, to create a temporary copy of a Vdisk you should use a Vsnap , not a SnapClone.

Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Let's see if I can address some of what Leif missed.

1.) HSV is in the Dec/Compaq/HP controller family progression. HSJnn ==> HSZnn ==> HSGnn ==> HSVnnn.

2.) In the HSG's the VCS is a physical PCMCIA card that is inserted into the controller. The major upgrades replace this card. On the EVA, it is a Compaq Flash Ram card that is inserted in the rear of the controller.

3.) Code Load is refrencing a controller firmware upgrade. You load the code and then re-boot one controller at a time. We upgraded one controller last friday to 3.010

5.) this should be in the license paks that where shipped with your EVA. We have HP setup our EVA's so they deal with the licenses.

6.) you make disks groups (8 or more spindles) that the data for the individual VDISK is carved from. The larger the disk group. The more spindles that your data is spread across.

7.) not familiar with the VA. The DISKGROUP is where the Virtual disks are carved from. You must have a minimum of 8 disks to make a disk group. You loose overhead space in each disk group that you create. Less disks groups = less overhead wastage.

8 & 9) Snapshot makes a copy of the drives that only uses space for the Header pointers to point to the original data and is available almost immediately Any changes to the data will require the snapshot to grow to maintain the data of the original volume that you pointed to. So, if you are copying a backup volume that only changes every 24 hours, you will not use any additional space in that time. We use this extensively. Up to 20 concurrent snapshots at a time.

Snapclone makes a FULL copy of the data and takes an amount of time depending on the amount of data being copied. We do not use this.

10.) not that I am aware of.
VMS SAN mechanic
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Thank you Mike ..!!!. Now I am bit comfortable with all these info. and can give a half-an-hour lecture on EVA :-) ...

-Karthik S S
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

1) The original Digital Equipment Corporation storage controller 20 years ago, the HSC, was the Hierarchical Storage Controller. It used a proprietary Computer Interconnect (CI) interface between hosts and storage. As new variants evolved to use other interfaces and protocols, the "HS" stuck with them. It is my understanding, the "V" in HSV stands for "Virtual", as in Virtual Storage Array.

6) A vdisk (virtual disk) is the logical entity that is eventually presented to one or more hosts. One could make an argument that it is not really a (MS-Windows?) LUN until it is presented. A virtual disk Family is a group of the base (active) vdisk and any related snapshots. The snapshots are associated with the base disk and are useless without it. Most virtual disk families typically consist of just the active vdisk.

7) A disk group is a raw storage pool of physical spindles. There is an eight-disk minimum, and if sparing (hot spares) is desired, then the available storage pool is decreased by TWO spindles' worth of space per sparing level (single or double). The impact of sparing per disk group can be minimized by having few disk groups and many disks per group. There is a whitepaper at the EVA web page discussing recommended best practices.
Virtual disks are sliced across the N spindles in the disk group, with 1/Nth of the required storage from each spindle. The redundancy (VRAID) level is selected on a per vdisk basis. A disk group can have many vdisks, some with VRAID5, some with VRAID1 and even some with VRAID0 (just a stripe). Since an EVA3000 can support up to 56 disks, you COULD have at most 7 disk groups. In reality, you want only one or maybe two. Both the EVA3000 and EVA5000 consist of a pair of controllers. Note there is no RAID1 in the traditional sense; VRAID1 is more like RAID 0+1. Every vdisk spans every spindle in its disk group.

9) A snapshot is always derived from the same disk group as the parent (ACTIVE) vdisk. A snapclone can be created from ANY disk group with sufficient storage space. Both snapshot and snapclone can be presented to an arbitrary host; fromm the host point-of-view, either appears as a complete disk. For example, a production database could exist on a vdisk, with backup being done involving a snapshot of the vdisk presented to a different system with tape drive(s). Writing to tape would not impose overhead on the production CPU.
And, both snapshot and snapclone are modifiable after their creation. A snap of the previously mentioned production database could be created and presented to the the developers, again on a non-production system, for development and testing. If during the course of testing they corrupt the database, no big deal. Destroy the snapshot and give them a new one.

Point in time recovery would require presenting both the snapshot and vdisk to some host as two LUNs. At the host, do whatever is required to prepare the volume, then use the host to transfer the data from the snapshot LUN to the vdisk LUN. Depending on what portion of the vdisk has already been reallocated to the snapshot, it may be faster to create a new vdisk of appropriate size and redundancy level, and present that new disk and snapshot to the above-mentioned host. Once the data is restored, simply unpresent the snapshot and ORIGINAL vdisk and delete them. The new vdisk is now simply the production volume. The new vdisk family name could be updated to have the name of the original vdisk family (which would no longer exist).

Hope this helps.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Thanks a lot Sheldon ...

-Karthik S S
Orrin
Valued Contributor

Hi Karthik,

I guess most of the questions were answered, maybe I can fill in some blanks for you.

5. With the new version of the SMA software, you can centralise liscence management, at the SMA. The liscence key is linked with the WWN of the HSV and the checksum. You can register it using a text file with the liscence key. the key will come supplied with the HSV's.

6. A vdisk family, will include all the snapshots of that vdisk. e.g. If you take a snapshot of vdisk1 at 11:00am on Monday, and then another one at 11:00am tuesday, you will have both the snapshots associated with vdisk1 and put in the same folder, this folder is then the vdisk family. A snapclone will not be in the same family.

7.The diskgroup forms the basis of the Eva environment. No longer do you have the choice of deciding where you put data, or create stripes. The HSV's do that for you, A diskgroup is basically a unit, that comprises a minimum of 8 disk, The way the HSV's manage this is by creating RSS's ( Redundant Storage Sets ), you can than decide on the spare policy, i.e None, Single and Double. These factors together with the type of vdisk you create, and the number and type of snapshots/snapclones , decide how much storage you have available.

9. A snapclone, will start copying the vdisk, if data is modified while the snapclone is copying, the action taken is dependent upon which data is modified. e.g. If data in block 2046 is modified, if the snapclone has already finished copying that data then it ignores the change. if it has not reached that block then it copies the old data before the modification is done.
A snapclone can be presented as a new LUN and can be used to write to without modifying the original data.
A snapshot is just a set of pointers, you can present this as a new LUN, but if the new server it is presented to writes to the snapshot, the original data is modified, With obvious problems.... The basic use of the snapshot is for backup, and SO YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE SNAPSHOT TO READONLY AFTER IT HAS BEEN PRESENTED TO THE NEW SERVER. ( Can't Stress this enough)

Hope this helps..

Regards,
Orrin.