New Discussion юеВ

EVA alarms

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

EVA alarms

Hi all:

Had an EVA 8000 lose a drive yesterday. Did it routine and called home via ISEE. Problem was HP only calls the primary contact, and being a Sunday the primary contact was not in the office. The result was 15+ hrs to find out a disk was bad and to get a replacement.

My question - I am running Nagios 2.9 in our environment. I would like some insight on how to query the EVAs (8000 & 5000) so we can be alerted ASAP.
7 REPLIES 7
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA alarms

ISEE also sends a copy of the report to a customer configurable e-mail. And you can put 3 contact persons and phone numbers on the ISEE configuration. Specify one cellullar for out of hours cases. Specify hours of availability as 24x7, if you put monday-friday 9 am to 5 pm, the case will be skipped and passed directly to bussiness hours support.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

We have been trying that and enlisting the ASE to help do that. This approach has not met with much success.

Also, in an effort to automate our internal tracking process (an internal ticket # gets generated) we are looking to capture this info as well.

Typical of the powers that be - generate more paper work. I want to automate the process to avoid the paper work.

We are running HPUX 11.11 & 11.23. Our Nagios server is CentOS5. No WIN.
Chris Rosan2
Frequent Advisor

My ISEE sends me email's when we have an issue with our EVA. Can you have an email address for Nagios that it will check?

You could also have this email to ALL your IT staff (if you've got blackberries or similar). Someone will get it.

We also still use a pager and we can send email's to our pager supplier which come through to the pager. Not sure if you can do this in the US.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

We use a "simple" check with SSSU, the only thing we check is the operational state. This is good for us, as at any alarm, operators connect to command view (read only) and check the status. The bad thing is that operations like cloning/snapshot changes the operational state of the eva, so every time you get an alarm, most won't be a problem.

eva_check.sssu
==============

set option on_error=continue

select manager USERNAME=administrator PASSWORD=
ls system full

exit

eva_check
=========

#!/bin/ksh
BODYFILE=/tmp/check_eva.body
LASTCHECK=`ls -la /etc/sssu.out | awk ' { print $6,$7,$8 }'`

/usr/local/sbin/sssu "file /usr/local/sbin/eva_check.sssu" |grep -v PASSWORD > /etc/sssu.out

PROBLEM=`grep -w operationalstate /etc/sssu.out |grep -v good |wc -l`

if [ "$PROBLEM" -gt 0 ]; then
echo "ATENCION: One storage EVA requires attention." > $BODYFILE
echo "Verify the status using Command View" >> $BODYFILE
echo >> $BODYFILE
echo "EVA state detected at: $LASTCHECK;" >> $BODYFILE
awk ' $1 == "objectname" { STORAGE=$3 } \
$1 == "operationalstate" { STATE=$3 } \
$1 == "connectionstatus" { print STORAGE, STATE } ' /etc/sssu.out >> $BODYFILE
mailx -s "Storage EVA requires attention!" user@domain.com < $BODYFILE
fi
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
it can be done via WEBES in 2 ways - you can:
a) configure the notification to your preferred email adresses, this is only informative
b) configure the WEBES SNMP to send the traps into the system which can collect the SNMP traps and process them into the incident tickets

the pain is one part of the reality
ckuenzler
Occasional Advisor

Very interesting!
I am now trying to make the same test in combination with Nagios.
But obviously I need to have sssu installed on this Linux machine (/usr/sbin/sssu program).

On the HP website I only found it for RedHat and Suse Linux and unfortunately without file type (neither rpm nor tar.gz). I want to compile it on Debian but no package exists for it.
Could anyone help?
thanks
MAX72

Excuse do not speak English very well.
I'm trying to configure a linux server for the storage of a Trap
I have HP EVA 4400 and I have to configure so that we can receive TRAP abnormalities found in powertrain.
I might indicate a TOOL for LINUX affinch├Г┬и TRAP can filter that I need and identify anomalies?
I use nagios to monitor servers and thr take information on their status
But for the TRAP I read many articles but I can not make the decisive step for my work.
I can show or give inidicazioni to configure Nagios to receive TRAP and decrypt the message arrives

THANKS