108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA leveling

SOLVED
Go to solution
Acxiom Unix Team
Frequent Advisor

EVA leveling

We have 2 EVA8100's and i have a quick question about leveling.

I am wondering if when a disk group is leveling if it is advisable not to do anything such as creating a new VDisks. I cannot find anything to say it is bad practice or should not be done but someone here has told me it is wrong to do it.

So just wonder if anyone know of a definative answer to this question?

Thanks
Where is my beer...??
3 REPLIES 3
gstonian
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Levelling is abackground process carrid out by the EVA's to ensure the data is evenly spread across all the available spindles.

In an ideal world you would wait until the disk group has finished levelling but creating LUNs while the disk group is levelling has never caused us a problem.

The only issue you might see is if you have only just added new disks to the disk group and want to utiliise that storage immediately, the disk group may not report the correct amount of new capacity until it has completed levelling.

Also see this previous post
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1232386

Thanks
Acxiom Unix Team
Frequent Advisor

Great, thanks for that quick response...

I will tell them to wait i think as we are adding 56 new disks into the EVA and the client who owns it has everything in one disk group... So think its safest to put all disks in, add them into the group then let it level before creating any new luns/vdisks.
Where is my beer...??
Acxiom Unix Team
Frequent Advisor

Got the answer i was after. Thanks
Where is my beer...??