New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA - perfmon

SOLVED
Go to solution
inex
Super Advisor

EVA - perfmon

Hi,
We are about to measure performance on an EVA system. Anyone knows which parameters we should use to get a good overview of the load on the EVA.

-inex
19 REPLIES 19
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Read and write latencies on the host ports and disk group. Queue depth on the hosts.

Read latency < 15
Write latency < 5
Queue depth <= 1

If they are over those values, then it's time to watch the number of I/Os requested per second and divide it by the number or disks on the disk group.
inex
Super Advisor

Thanks,
do you have a command syntax for this monitoring job? I was planning to run it for 24 hours.

-inex
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

You can use the Windows Performance monitor, the counters are included on it when EVAperf is installed.

If you use EVAperf directly, it will display values on screen or generate a file that then must be processed with TLViz or some other software to be able to plot the values in a time scale.

For example:

evaperf -cont

can be:
as Displays array status.
cs Displays controller status.
hps Displays host port statistics.
ps Displays port status.
pda Displays statistics for physical disk activity.
vd Displays virtual disk statistics.
vdrl Displays virtual disk read latency histograms.
vdwl Displays virtual disk write latency histograms.

To capture information to a file:

Evaperf all ├в cont 10 ├в dur 28800 ├в csv ├в fo filename

This will capture every 10 seconds for 8 hours.
inex
Super Advisor

Hi,
what would a good sample interval be?
I was planning to monitor for 24 hours, so an evaperf all command would probably generate a lot of data?

-inex
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Sample every minute, that will generate 1440 samples of data.
inex
Super Advisor

Hi,

When I try to load the output data from an evaperf command, I get this message from the tlviz programme

"input did not contain fields from EVAPERF Build 6.0.0 or later.Formatter Exiting"

-inex
inex
Super Advisor

The customer has 2 x EVA's. Will it be easier to analyze data afterwords if the output is in 2 separate files or is it ok to have one output file?

-inex
Brian Hope
Frequent Advisor

I usally create a file per EVA so data isn't mixed in and I can see what each EVA is doing without to much messing around with TLviz. You can us the "-sz" command followed by the eva name. Remember that the EVA name is case sensitive.
inex
Super Advisor

Thanks for your answer.
Do you manage to pull data out of the database and into something presentable?

-inex