108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA3000 VDisk Creation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christian--
Advisor

EVA3000 VDisk Creation

Hi! I am trying to configure an old EVA3000. I updated the HDD firmware, the firmware VCS(4.100) and installed CommandView 901, it discovered the array and a Diskgroup was created (with all of the disks in it(52)).
After that a VDisk was created with nearly all of the space allocated and security set to VRaid1. So that was about 20 hours ago and it is still saying "(vdisk) creating in progress".
As this is not supposed to take that long, is there any way to abort it and start over again? Maybe I didnt give the VRaid enough free space in the diskgroup? Also it says that all four batteries have failed (0,95V and 1,15V), maybe they are recharging?
The EVA hasnt been on for about 4 weeks, batteries were ok back then... Thanks for your help!
27 REPLIES 27
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you don't perform a graceful shutdown of the EVA (via Command View) and leave it off for a long time, all batteries will fail.

In this situation the vdisks will not be presented so it's futile that you create a new one.

Try to replace the batteries and reboot controllers. Also check the event log for events after the creation of the vdisk.
Christian--
Advisor

Thanks for your reply! Is there any chance that the system will accept the batteries again? Can I try to reseat them or somehow tell it just to recharge them?
I know that the Battery-modules from my MSAs work even after half a year.. I'm asking because its very hard to get those Batteries for a reasonable price nowadays...
Thanks again for your help!
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, if you have no data on the EVA I would suggest that you un-initialise it then re-initialise it. Quickest way to get a clean config. I have also seen the batteries clear and come online as charging after disconnecting everything from a controller then powering it up by itself before shutting down and reconnecting it. (essentialy the replace controller process but keeping the original)

Hi,

Unfortunately, if the EVA thinks the batteries are bad, then they have to be replaced. I've not found a way around this...

You can try to start up the EVA without the batteries installed, and then insert them when it's running. This might get them working, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

If an EVA is shut down for a length of time (more than a few hours) then:

1. Ensure you follow the correct power down procedure.
2. Remove the batteries.

If you don't do step 1, the batteries stay switched on, trying to maintain data in the cache, and then go into a deep discharge state.

Cheers,

Rob
Christian--
Advisor

Hi! I'm sure the EVA was shutdown properly through Command View but the batteries were not removed after that. What I don't understand is, that the lights on the batteries are still green but the voltage is not sufficent, so shouldnt the EVA just be charging them until the voltage is ok again?
I could swear if I'd load them externaly it would work... So do I have to replace the batteries even if they are "green"? Thank you all for your help
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
As Rob says above, if the batteries have been marked as bad then that is it. DO NOT try to pull them out and put them in another ctrl as that will not help!
However you have stated that the actual batteries are OK?? as in NO amber LED on the batteries themselves ?? and that you appear to be in a test/play environment ?? If you have users/live data then it is up to you if you wish to try the following.

IF that is the case then I would try a complete power down of the array from CV.
Ensure that the ctrls are turned off at the back and then reapply power to the EVA. MAke sure all the disk drives/enclosures are fully powered up and then turn on both ctrls. This MAY resolve your problem. If this does not work then power down again as before, turn off the ctrls and then remove the batteries - no need to fully remove just make sure they are out by 2/3cm. Now turn on the disks/enclosures again, wait for them to be fully powered up and then turn on the ctrls. WAIT for the red/amber failed LED on the OCP (on both ctrls) for the batteries to come on and then once it has just install the batteries. This MAY resolve your problem.
If not, you probably need new batteries...
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Christian--
Advisor

thats right, No amber LED on the batteries. All 4 Batts are green. I will try your method right away. As the EVA isn't even initialized anymore there is no need to worry about users.
Christian--
Advisor

Actually, the controller won't boot if there is no battery installed... I attached a picture, all (fibre)cables are disconnected and the Battery-LEDs are green.. what do you think about that?
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Not surprising really - those are the PSU/blower assemblies and NOT the batteries !! %*)
The batteries are BEHIND the OCP.
Please try again.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...