Christian--
Advisor

Re: EVA3000 VDisk Creation

i'll retry :)
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It's probably reasonable to assume, looking at the picture, that you haven't checked the lights on the batteries...

Cheers,

Rob
Christian--
Advisor

Ok, I got it now. I disassembled the batteries and tried to recharge them. They consist of three Hawker Cyclon (2V,5A) which are (I dont know how to say it in english) "parallel" and not "in line" (not a good idea at all). They have (sperr)-dioden between them, so you could charge them "in line".
Now the interesting part: These Cyclon-modules seem to deep-discharge pretty easy (at approx <1,2V they get hochohmig(very big resistor :)) ) so the EVA can't charge them anymore.
But as they are lead-batteries you can get them to recharge by applying a high(er) voltage for a limited time. I used 5V from a PC with a 12V lamp "in line" to restrict the current. After about a minute my battery recharger was able to load them again. You might not want to do this outside your lab but those Cyclons cost about 12(euro) a piece, that would be 36(euro) for 3 of them. Sound better than 300(euro) for a HP Bat....
I'm gonna put the Batteries back in and report here tomorrow. Thank you all for your help!
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I suspect there may be something else within the battery packs which stores the battery state, which the EVA controllers read.

Unless you can manage to reset that, then they'll probably still get flagged as failed.

I'd be interested if you do manage to get them working though. As you say, the HP parts are very expensive for what they are, and increasingly difficult to get hold of...

Cheers,

Rob
Christian--
Advisor

There is nothing on that PCB that can tell the EVA whether its working or not. I think that the only thing that is checked is the voltage and if the battery can be charged. But because the batteries are "parallel" (do you really say it like that?) you could get into trouble with a deep-discharged module (V-->oo).
I actually got the idea of doing this because I called a pretty big german used-it store were they told me that they are doing the exact same thing there.
We will see tomorrow..
Christian--
Advisor

As I suspected the EVA takes the battery without problems. I started the HSV-controller without any battery installed (^^) and inserted them as soon as they finished booting. Here is a screenshot with one of the batteries now charging. P.S.: I downgraded to CV602 due to license issues.
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Sounds like a fix then!
However, you need BOTH batteries good and installed PER ctrl for this type of ctrl -HSV100/EVA3000 & HSV110/EVA5000. One battery installed/working is NO good as the ctrl will not present any units/luns from a ctrl (or pair of ctrls) if the batteries are missing or bad.
Let us know how you get on when you put the other "repaired" battery in.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Christian--
Advisor

I have VCS4100 running and its presenting the disks without problems with just one (charging) battery installed. Would be really bad if you loose your luns just because one battery fails...
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Not able to view you screen capture but I think you may be confused again? Of course I could be wrong but I think this is what you are doing???
Just because you can see a vdisk under CV does not mean that it is presented. Try presenting the vdisk to an OS and then see if you can use it!!
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Christian--
Advisor

You should look at the screenshot to know what I mean. I presented the disk to my management-server and I can see it without problems. If I'm confusing something please explain!?