5689 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA4000 FC cable labels

KarstenPE
Frequent Advisor

EVA4000 FC cable labels

Hello,

in an EVA4000 2C2D configuration which FC cable labels have to be used for the four cables between the two enclosures and the controllers?
Which label has to be applied to which cable?
The only documentation I found tells me how to label the cables for drive enclosure 4, 5, and so on. The first enclosures are not mentioned.

Regards,
Karsten
4 REPLIES 4
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA4000 FC cable labels

Hi,

the cables should already be numbered, if it's factory configured.
Once both ends of the cable have the same number, it doesn't matter what the numbers are.
Too see exactly how the cables should be connected, see the hardware configuration guide:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00370688/c00370688.pdf

The EVA4000 2C2D is on page 37

Regards,
Stephen
KarstenPE
Frequent Advisor

Hi Stephen,

they are not labeled, because the customer assembled the EVA on its own.
I am just wondering what the right labels are. Unfortunately I have no EVA4000 preconfigured by HP where I can have a look.

Regards,
Karsten
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Of course, I am not in the office right now, but if I remember correctly, it was:
top controller: 0 + 1
bottom controller: 2 + 3

I think it should not really matter, because the cables are pretty easy to trace on an EVA 4000. Now, on an EVA8000, that's a different thing...
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Yes, based on experience with the EVA... I have always seen the top controller loop cables labeled... 00 and 01 (00 being on the left loop and 01 the right) and the bottom controller being 02 and 03 (02 being onthe left and 03 on the right).

As the config guide image depicts... 00 goes to Enclosure 1 and 02 to Enclosure 2. On the right side, 01 goes to Enclosure 2 and 03 to Enclosure 1.

The cables connecting the Enclosures together do not have any numbering.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)