4313 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4000 autopath (secure path for active-active) LVM device file

Darren Lauser_2
Occasional Advisor

EVA4000 autopath (secure path for active-active) LVM device file

Hello,

I am accessing an EVA4000 from HP-UX 11.23 and using "secure path for active-active V3.0F SP2," i.e., the autopath command. I have four paths to my LUN. I can see, with ioscan, all four hardware paths and they each have device files. If I were not using any multi-pathing software, then I would just use those device files as pv links in the LVM group.

I see that autopath has assigned "Virtual Device File : /hpap/dsk/hpap0" but I understand that I am not to use that for LVM.

How do I access this LUN with LVM without pv links? Thanks. I am assuming that, if I use pv links, that the autopath monitor will not be able to fully manage the connection. Maybe that is an incorrect assumption.

Regards,
Darren

7 REPLIES 7

Darren,

Just pick one of the direct paths to the LUN - SecurePath should take care of loadbalancing that to the other 3 paths (just like powerpath from emc). You can actually add the other paths to your VG as well if you like.

HTH

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
V.Manoharan
Valued Contributor

Hi ,
you can use the virtual device provided by "spmgr display" output. Load balancing will be taken care by securepath.

regards
Manoharan

Darren,

Manoharan is talking about SecurePath for active/passive arrays (i.e. EVA3000/5000). As you no doubt know, you don't have a spmgr display command.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
V.Manoharan
Valued Contributor

Hi
sorry I was not aware of that. thanks duncan.
regards
Manoharan
Darren Lauser_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Duncan. Is there any documentation that explains this feature? My searching has not turned up anything except for systems that only have one path to the LUN.

Regards,
Darren

WayneHP
Frequent Advisor

Additional notes:

autopath command is used to set up load balencing or prefered paths and display your paths status.

If you use SAM it will only show you one device and do the right thing when creating PVs VGs and LVs.

Darren Lauser_2
Occasional Advisor

Duncan answered it.