New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4000 problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
aneez
Regular Advisor

EVA4000 problem

hi all

one of my customer accidently unintialized the eva 4000. now booth of the controller got intialised. now its not showing any lun and gropus. is any way to retrieve the controller configuration. please help

anee
13 REPLIES 13
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Anee,

The only way you could recover the configuration would be if the configuration has been captured previously with SSSU.

Even if the configuration could be recovered, the data on the array will have been erased.

Hopefully your customer has good backup tapes ...

Regards,

Rob
aneez
Regular Advisor

hi
is anyway to tell me how its happened because its having redundant contoller ?

in my command view eva its showing the controller is intializing

how it can happen

thanks in advance

aneez
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Are you aware of the actual sequence of events ?

It's difficult for someone to accidentally uninitialize an EVA as Command View gives you at least two, "Are you really sure you want to do this ?" messages...

Maybe what happened is that they've had a power outage and the controllers got powered up before the disks. In that situation the controllers wouldn't be able to read their configuration off the disks, and may appear to be uninitialized.

Try powering the disk shelves and controllers off.

Then power up the disk shelves and wait a few minutes - don't worry if the disk in bay one of each shelf appears to have failed - that's normal.

Then power up the top controller, wait 10-15 seconds, then power up the bottom controller.

Hopefully that will get things going.

Regards,

Rob
aneez
Regular Advisor

Hi

i tried like as you told when i am trying like that in eva controller its asking the wwn name. what may be the reason for this ?

thanks
aneez
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

You have to reinitialize your controller.

There is normally a label with the WWN and checksum next to the controllers

If you don't have a backup of the config with SSSU, you have to reinitialize the EVA4000 and restore al the data

Good Luck
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The EVA will prompt for the WWN if it has been powered down when uninitialized.

Therefore it sounds very much as though the configuration and data have been lost.

Cheers,

Rob
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> is anyway to tell me how its happened because its having redundant contoller

If the customer has uninitialized (= destroyed) the system, all meta-data was erased from the disks. There is no configuration kept on a redundant controller.

Watch out! The EVA terminology is a bit confused. Depending whre you look, sometimes 'uninitializing' and 'initializing' means the thing: the whole configuration is destroyed.
aneez
Regular Advisor

hi
is anyway to get the logs what happened exactly?

is any utility from hp to retreive the data from the disks. its very very critical data.
so if any idea you have please let me know.

i am waiting for your valuable replies

thanks for your quick response

Aneez
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think you'll find copies of the EVA events are also sent to the Windows Event Log on the machine running Command View EVA.

That *might* have details of what happened...

I'm not aware of any utilities from HP to recover an EVA, however you could always try logging a fault call and see what they say...

Cheers,

Rob