108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA4400 adding drive enclosure online

SOLVED
Go to solution
CLEB
Valued Contributor

EVA4400 adding drive enclosure online

I have an EVA4400 XCS 09006000 with 5 drive enclosures attached. I need to add another enclosure while online.

Is this possible with the version of firmware I am running or will there be later firmware on the new enclosure which would cause problems?

9 REPLIES 9
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: EVA4400 adding drive enclosure online

There are no incompatibilities with M6412 or M6412A, with the two I/O module versions, and several firmware versions. Any can be used.

But you must be aware that XCS 09006000 is currently unsupported and has known bugs. Also, the I/O modules on the enclosures you have now will not have lastest firmware (0073).

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01419085/c01419085.pdf

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01726873

CLEB
Valued Contributor

Thanks vcespon

I have seen both these documents but I was unsure about adding extra shelves with old firmware. Is the IO module firmware (0073) an extra firmware install or is this part of the XCS bundle?

I realise we are on an unsupported firmware version but we have had no major problems with 09006000. We are waiting for the release of 0953000 as I have read of so many issues with earlier versions.

V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The I/O module firmware is included on the XCS superfile. We started with version 0069 and are now on 0073. I don't know which one will come with 0953xxxxx.

And yes, everybody is waiting for the new firmware.
Eric v Willegen
Advisor

I would advise you to plan first for an upgrade of the EVA. Check out the Compability Matrixes for the steps for upgrade.

After that everything is running good, you can do an online enclosure extension. Prepare good for cabling-diagrams about the correct loops with the new config.

While upgrading monitor command view EVA constantly. If the new Enclosures are not able to give you detailed info, you must reset the I/O module by Serial or reset it through putting the module out en in. The reset by serial is quicker.

If the new loop is up en no issues been seen, you can do the second loop.

Also before extension, make a complete Capture of the config and set the disk-replacement time out at 5 min (change it after the extension to default 1 min). Also check the Add Disk Policy, this must be on manual.

CLEB
Valued Contributor

Eric, thank you for your comments.

Unfortunately we are not prepared to do an XCS version upgrade until the latest (and hopefully greatest) version is released.

We want to do an online upgrade as we are at capacity of the existing 5 shelves.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Maybe I am misreading 'online', bus as far as I can tell, HP requires that the upgrade from XCS 09006000 to the current one be done with a full power-cycle of the whole EVA (controllers + disk enclosures).
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Uwe

By "online" I am refering to installing an additional M6412A Enclosure.

We are not prepared to upgrade the XCS at all to the available version. We are awaiting 0953x
Eric v Willegen
Advisor

In addition to this, you must check when the new code is coming, if the Firmware directly can be upgraded to 0953x, otherwise maybe you have to do some additional pre-upgrades. These information is available in the EVA Compability Matrix.

A new one will arrive after the code is released i guess.

CLEB
Valued Contributor

HP have advised me to only add a disk enclosure offline.