108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400: how fault tolerant it is ?; Difference with EVA6X00/8X00

SOLVED
Go to solution
damiri
Regular Advisor

I hope they will fix WOCP and CV within it ...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

CV-EVA V9.0 and RSM V5.0 are available:

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=CommandViewEVA9.0

(In my opinion, the WOCP is only suitable for some emergency management tasks and is *NOT* a replacement for a management server, because important things like call home or online disk drive firmware updates are not available)
damiri
Regular Advisor

Thanks, I wasn't aware of it. Where I can find info on HDD firmwares available as well as procedure how to upgrade drives ? I looked under support for drives, but nothing is available ....
CLEB
Valued Contributor

James Ackerly
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I have just been involved with an EVA4400 install. We noted that with the EVA 4400 you only seem to be able to shut down both controllers at the same time and not individually.

Also, the controllers aren't labelled as hotswap.

I take this to mean that if we have a controller failure we will need to schedule downtime for the whole eva to install the replacement controller?

We did some basic testing as we are not at the production stage yet. Basically we have a couple of disk groups and published vdisks. We pulled power supplies/ batteries / fans / loop cables / etc, Command View seems slightly more responsive than older versions but still quite slow and often not displaying the fault for quite some time.

We also disconnected all loop ports and device ports from Controller B to try and simulate a Controller failure. Command View basically froze up and was unresponsive. We have tested the MPIO drivers since on our management host and they are working correctly. Has anyone else tested and experienced anything like this?

Cheers,

James
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Are you using the latest firmware (09500000) and Command View (9.0)?

Comand View only talks to the master controller, if you remove the FC cables from that one, Command View will not be able to access the EVA.
It's not the same a controller with the ports disconneted that a failed controller.

Also, EVA4400 can be shut down individually, in fact it's stated on the controller replacement instructions:

a. In the navigation pane, select Storage System > Hardware > Controller Enclosure.
b. Select the appropriate controller (Controller 1 or Controller 2) to halt.
c. Click the Shut down tab.
d. In the Halt Controller section of the Shut Down Controller window, click Halt. This halts controller processing while the power remains on.

damiri
Regular Advisor

is this already available latest firmware (09500000)?
James Ackerly
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I did find the controller replacement guide after my post last night so am happy with that process.

If your master controller goes down does this role automatically switch to the second controller or do you lose access to commandview during this stage?
damiri
Regular Advisor

goes automatically
damiri
Regular Advisor