Disk Enclosures
1753856 Members
7377 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA5000 Disk Enclosure not visible in Command View EVA

Riaan van Tonder

EVA5000 Disk Enclosure not visible in Command View EVA

I've had an encounter at a client recently where they have an EVA5000 2C2D which had multiple problems (mostly because of bad management). I got most of it sorted out, restored the SMA, upgraded VCS etc. Only thing that bowls me over is the fact that I can only see one of the 2 enclosures under hardware in Command View EVA. There is also nothing under "unmapable hardware". I can see all of the drives in the Disk Groups.
Anyone seen this before?
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes. This can happen when there is no disk drive in the disk enclosure. The HSV controllers need a disk drive to talk to the EMU.

Last time I asked HP (which was a few month ago) you still need at least 4 disk drives in an enclosure to have a supported configuration.
Riaan van Tonder

Perhaps i should have given more detail...
I have 2 disk enclosures, 1 & 8, with 7 drives in each (14 in total). Only enclosure 8 and it's 7 drives are visible under hardware, although all disks can be seen in the disk group.
If I select a disk in the disk group that is physically in enclosure 1, it actually gives the correct location, and I am also able to do a locate on it. So far I have tried swopping the EMU's, CAB cables, moving the CAB cable to a different posstion (2), still nothing...
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Try contacting HP for a newer version of CV. I've seen strange things happen on older versions of CV. Get 3.3.3.
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Other thing that just crossed my mind:

I've recently seen some replacement instructions. You need to wait 1 or 2 minutes before you plug in the replacement EMU and it can take up to 8 minutes to recognize the new EMU. Did you wait that long?