Disk Enclosures
1751707 Members
5189 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA5000 array with HSV110 controllers.

Geoff Brown
Frequent Advisor

EVA5000 array with HSV110 controllers.

We have one of the above that we would like to configure via the "UART" port on the rear of the HSV110 controllers.
Can anyone supply us with the pinouts of this port (or the cable number required), & also the baud rate?
Also, any links to config documentation via this port would very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Geoff
22 REPLIES 22
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The UART port is not used for configuration. Is only used for HP certified support personnel for troubleshooting.

I used once only to display the "output" of command sended through the "field service" special page of the Command View. The commands are not documented anywhere and mostly are exadecimal numbers that represents actions to be executed.

If you want to configure/manage the EVA using CLI commands, you can use SSSU. Install the platform kit for your O.S.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Geoff:

As Ivan states, and I concurrrr... the 9pin Serial connection is for HP Field/Technical Support and diagnostics only.

You can "watch" your EVA "boot up" if you have the proper cable and hyperterm or really any term program that works with serial ports.

I had to connect once to "fix" an EVA's boot process as it came from the factory in debug mode. I don't remember the settings, but I think I had used a serial cable from a SAN Switch (B Series).

I advise against even bothering/trying to see the port unless your instructed to via Tech Services.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Agreed, be _very_ careful - if you plug in the connector and this causes the receiver to beleive you have sent some control character this might result in the reboot of one or both controllers or even a hard stop of the entire array!
Geoff Brown
Frequent Advisor

Thank's, guy's, the info was a big help.
I'm going to have to go into this a lot deeper to get a functioning system.
Regards

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

What is the problem? You do not have a Management Server? Command View EVA? SSSU?

Or is there a technical issue?

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Wondering what makes you think about using UART port?

As said by everyone here , it it used by HP support or a user only when instructed by HP.

For EVA configuration , you don't need to use this port at all. YOu can use CommandView EVA installed on the SMS server.

For you information ,as far as the connecting to the UART port is concerned, a null modem cable could be used.
You can user HyperTerminal or an equivalent terminal emulator with following settings
Baud Rate - 19.2K
Data Bits - 8
Parity - None
Stop Bits - 1
Flow Control - None

Geoff Brown
Frequent Advisor

Steven,
This equipment came to us on consignment, as just an EVA5000 system cabinet.
I can see that we will have to sort out a management server, Command View EVA, & SSSU, etc.
Regards
Geoff
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

All you need is a Windows Server with an HBA. Hopefully you were give SAN Switches and some HBA's as well.

Once you have the server, and it could be anything that will work with an hba, you then ONLY need Command View EVA 4.1. SSSU is not a necessity, but if you like command line and command batch programming, then you might want it.

You might need to have the EVA's firmware upgraded as well.

Steven

Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Huh? If you ask me, SSSU is absolutely necessary - how else do you do a CAPTURE CONFIGURATION?