New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA5000 performance monitoring

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul_481
Respected Contributor

EVA5000 performance monitoring

Hi,

I would just like to ask for suggestion on how to monitor the disk performance of EVA5000 disk.

1 Disk Group
80 physical disk (72 Gb each)
3 LUNs (250 Gb)

I assigned 3 LUNs to one vg01, this volume has 18 logical volume for database dbf files.

Based from glance, this is a disk IO on LUN1. This is because the 3 LUNs are only 50 % utilized on the filesystem. LUN1 PEs are all asigned to the lvols while LUN2 PEs are has 50% free PEs and LUN3 was not even used yet on the lvol.

Is it correct that spreading the dbf's on the 3 LUNs (3 vgs, 1 LUN each) will be the same from my current conifg (1 VG, 3 LUN) since we are using EVA?

Regards,
Paul
10 REPLIES 10
Madhusudhan_3
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi Paul,

When a LUN created in EVA, it uses all the available disks in the disk group. This way, EVA uses all the disks to serve any request from any VG.

Even if you span the dbf files across VGs the same number of physical disks(80 in your case)in EVA are going to work to serve the request. By spanning dbf files to different VGs(LUNs) from HP-UX side you will not find high I/O on a single LUN but but performance going to be the same.

Still, If you want try, you can create single lvol in the current VG such that it uses all the three LUNs.

Calculate the size of the required file system and devide by three. Allocate 1/3 of size to each LUN in the same VG.

lvcreate -n --creates lvol with zero MB size.

lvextend -L <1/3 of req size in MB>

In future also, you can follow the procedure for extedning LUN further so that it will be equally devided.

regards,
Madhu

Suraj Singh_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Paul,

In case of EVA 5K, any LUN which is created has stripes on all the disks available in that disk group.

In your case, the LUNs which you have created, they will have stripes on all the 80 disks available in the disk group. Now it is too difficult to tell where exactly the lvols resides.

But the performance in both the above cases (3 VGs or 1 VG) would remain similar.

Regards,
Suraj
What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence.
Paul_481
Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone for the reply.

Is there any metrics on EVA where I can get this information or I/0 statistics?

Regards,
Paul
Suraj Singh_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Paul,

I don't think you can get the IO statustics from EVA, but if your EVA is connected to a Brocade Fabric, you can use "portperfshow" command on fabric to see the IO on EVA.

Regards,
Suraj
Paul_481
Respected Contributor

Hi Paul,

I don't think you can get the IO statustics from EVA, but if your EVA is connected to a Brocade Fabric, you can use "portperfshow" command on fabric to see the IO on EVA.

Regards,
Suraj

Thanks Suraj,

I am not familiar with brocade switch command, but is there a way to capture the output of "portperfshow" or are there any logs where I can get the history of this logs.

Regards,
Paul
Suraj Singh_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Paul,

WORKAROUND
==========
You may use "HYPERTERM" in windows to telnet to the switch and start "capturing text", or alternatively, if you telnet from any unix host, just start "script" before you telnet to the switch.

Regards,
Suraj
Mahesh1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

In EVA5000,the LUN is uses all the available disks in the diskgroups.

Regards
Mahesh Gowda

... although you may need to upgrade to CommandView EVA 4.0 for this...

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo