1752810 Members
6081 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA5K Adding a new disk encluser

Dary
Frequent Advisor

EVA5K Adding a new disk encluser

I have a quick questions regarding adding a new disk enclosure and 14 disks to an EVA5K;

- EVA5000 with VCS 3.020.
- 2C10D
- Disk sizes 72 and 146 G
- 2 Vdisk groups

I am adding One more disk enclosure with 14 disks, size 300 G

a) Can I do it online?
b) should I concern about leveling?
c) what is the steps/process to do that?
d) What is the best practice for adding a new
shelf_disks/disk?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
3 REPLIES 3

Re: EVA5K Adding a new disk encluser

a) one can do online
b) Leveling started later re-mapping
c) Step
1) Chech status hardware
2) full backup
3) Installing enclosure
4) Connect Address bus cable
3) re-connect FC cable (see schema, hardware manual)
5) Installing HDD
6) Power up enclosure
See attachet
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Yes it can be done. We've actually added not just additional enclosures but an entire Expansion Rack (0C4D).. All without incurring downtime as long as the FE follows procedure.

As far as levelling, if you are only adding 14 disks, I suggest you simply add those disks to existing diskgroups and let the EVA do its thing...

Good Luck...

BTW what VCS firmwareare you running? If not on 3.028, better upgrade as soon as you can...
Hakuna Matata.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Another thing to be aware of is that you're probably not adding as much capacity as you think you are. Depending on how your disk groups are formed and what "failure protection level" you have selected, adding 300 GB disks into the mix will double the requirement to reserve space in case of a disk failure. HP's best practice is to use "single" failure protection level for all but the largest/most critical configurations.

For example:
Current disk group has 146GB disks in it and "single" failure protection level:
2 x 146 GB is reserved for failure protection and cannot be allocated to a Vdisk.

Add some 300 GB disks to the disk group described above:
2 x 300 GB is now reserved for failure protection and cannot be allocated to a Vdisk.

So your capacity gain is actually one less 300 GB spindle than you added to the disk group.