New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA6100 Disk Shelf alight like a Christmas tree

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor

EVA6100 Disk Shelf alight like a Christmas tree

Hi,

I have a new 6-shelf EVA6100 (our first) and one of the disk shelves has all of the warning lights flashing on and off(on every disk, on the EMU cards, loop cards and blower fans).

When i went into Command View EVA, the disk shelf was giving a loop controller lost message, and I traced the problem to the HP tech who installed the system tied the loop controller coax/fibre cables too tightly and one that was stretched had pulled itself out of the loop controller. I have now fixed that and so Command View EVA is saying everything is happy and there are no warnings or errors, however all the lights on this cabinet are still flashing.

How do I turn off all these lights??

Also, when in Command View EVA I notice that some disk shelves have the "Audible Alarm: Enabled" (two of the six shelves) and the others are set for "Disabled", but when I try and change them they seem to behave randomly in either ignoring the saved change or obeying it. Is this significant?

Final question. There are six disk shelves, all fully configured, but on the back panel of each, they are numbered as "1", "2", "3", "4", "8" and "9". Is this significant? The buttons on that back card don't seem to do anything, that I can tell.

Thanks.

Cameron.
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Cameron:

My best suggestion is to shutdown the EVA in a controlled manner and boot it back up after powering off all the disk shelves. A controlled shutdown should power off all the disk shelves as well.

The numbers in the back on the EMU's are the bus/shelf ID's. Each EMU/Shelf gets an ID and it looks like they are numbered correctly. 1 to 4 below the controllers, 7 for the controller shelf and 8 to 11 above the controllers.

The buttons do various things. The bottom button inparticular shuts off the audiable alarm when it is "on" by hlding the button in for 2 seconds.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Enclosure IO modules have 3 status LEDS:
uper, power, lower.

If all 3 flash, then maybe the locate was switched on (locate is a function of identifying the enclosure, so the enclosure is operational and only the locate should be turned off

if only top/bottom LED is flashing - then the top/bottom port EMU detected possible transceiver problem and both the transceiver or cable connections should be checked.

the pain is one part of the reality
Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor

All of the EMU lights (port 1, power, port 2) had been flashing on and off so I went in and turned the 'locate' beacon on then off again, and this seems to have cancelled out all the lights - both on the EMU cards and on every hot-swap disk in the front of the cabinet.

I believe that I did switch the 'locatre' off before I last exited, so unsure what happened here..
Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor

PS. The two disk shelves that COmmand View EVA suggested have the "Audio Alarm: Enabled" setting, also seem to have the lower pushbutton on the rear of the cabinet lit up as orange rather than green, as the other disk shelves are. However, pressing the orange button does not change anything. ?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If the lower push-button shows a permanent light, somebody has 'muted' the current audible alarm (that is done by pressing and holding the button for some seconds as Steven wrote yesterday).

The light should go of if the alarm condition goes away and the sound should come back, when a new alarm comes up.

Maybe the EMU locked-up and needs a reset by pulling it for a few seconds.

If the system is under warranty / maintenance, I would log a call with HP and have them diagnose and fix the problem.
They get paid for this, but if you act yourself, they can complain that you altered the system before giving them a chance to look after the problem.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, the conditions are the following:
a) when there is an error condition, the top pushbutton (TP) is viewed
b) the bottom pushbutton (BP) indicator is ON only when the alarm is muted/disabled (not recommended because then the audible alarm as an error indicator is thus out of the game).

To mute/unmute the audible alarm:
1. press/release the BP until the Au is on the display
2. press/hold the TP until the display is a flashing ON
3. press/release the TP to a flashing ON/OFF
4. press/release the BP to accept the change

If you choose to set the audible alarm to ON, the BP is OFF
the pain is one part of the reality
Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor

Thanks. That did the trick.