1748265 Members
4019 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA8000 on Solaris 8 - MultiPathing and Volume Manager Options

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

EVA8000 on Solaris 8 - MultiPathing and Volume Manager Options

Planning to hook up an EVA8000 (Active/Active). What are my options?

VxVM and VxFS are no longer options and are prhibotively expensive. Solaris 8 -- hence no ZFS.

Only Options are:

1. go simple disks cXtYdZsN
2. go Solaris Volume Manager (ex Disksuite)

My problem is Pth protection and load balancing. I heard MPIO for Solaris.. Is this a free product from HP or Sun? Any specifics please?

Also - what about Secuerpth for A/A arrays for Solaris (ex AutoPath).. is this still available?

Thanks!

Hakuna Matata.
4 REPLIES 4
TTr
Honored Contributor

Since VxVM and ZFS are not options, you don't have too many choices. Typically the storage vendor supplies a HA driver for all the common server OSes. Did the EVA8000 come with anything like that? Might the securepath have come with the EVA?

We use IBM disk arrays and they provide (no charge) path failover software for windows and all UNIX platforms (except for HP servers since HP has LVM built in).
jpmartin
Regular Advisor

On A/A HP arrays as EVA8000 or EVA5000 VCS 4.x, Solaris Load Balancing is made by MPxIO which is available from SUN, Secure Path was used on A/P arrays as EVA5000 VCS 3.x
Juan B.S.R.
Trusted Contributor

Hi.
Take a look to this document "HP Storageworks MPxIO for Sun Solaris" http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00854937/c00854937.pdf.
For EVA8000 you may use MPxIO and is included in Solaris OS.
Secure Path is only for "Active/Pasive" arrays.
I hope this help you.
Bye.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

I could not find that Docu... Called HP and was told their EVA and Sun docus/recipes are "internal" only!

But I managed to find that same document elsewhere and it helped somewhat.

I installed SFS 4.4.13 and even enabled STM (MPIO) on the HBAs that I'm using exclusively for EVA8100 presentations. And good thing SFS does not interfere with an existing SecuerPath (that uses older 1G JNI HBAs).

So I am now off to ditching VxVM and DMP and just use SVM and SFS/MPIO...

Hakuna Matata.