108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA8K expansion cabinet?

SOLVED
Go to solution
otukile
Frequent Advisor

EVA8K expansion cabinet?

I have an EVA8000 and fully populated with enclosures with disks. We need more space and we are thinking of an expansion cabinet. I did some research and it looks like there is literature for it only in EVA5K. Is this option still there for EVA8K?
If it is not there, what other upgrade option do you suggest I should opt for to get more space? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanx
Don't panic
6 REPLIES 6
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: EVA8K expansion cabinet?

The expansion cabinet is an option for the EVA8000. There are some restrictions on placement of disk drives in shelves but the expansion cabinet is an option for the EVA8x00 SAN's.
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
otukile
Frequent Advisor

Many thanks for the speedy response.
I usualy use an HP tool called Salebuilder and its couterpart website "Enterprise configurator" and both do not give me option for the expansion cabinet.

Is it posible that you give me some reference sites or documents that support that? I would be grateful
Don't panic
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can refer to http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/eva8100/qa.html#14

It clearly says what you want to hear. Also EVA8x00 specification mentions about supported 240 disk drives, which can only be achieved with 16 shelves. Don't get confused with EVA8100 vs EVA8000, functionality remains same for both and major change is in the enclosure connectivity (upgraded to 4GB).

My 2 cents worth....
Schwarzie
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi,

I have a great document here that details all the drive configuration information you need when considering the expansion cabinet.

We have recently added a cabinet to our EVA8k with no issues.

Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Either you need to update your SalesBuilder or you did the EVA configuration wrong. Try this:

Create a configuration for an EVA8000 2C12D.
On the General tab for the configuration click on the drop down for number of additional drive enclosures.
Select the number of drive enclosures you want to add to the 2C12D.
Click on Apply.
Sales Builder will automatically add everything you need for the expansion cabinet including the rack.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
otukile
Frequent Advisor

Thanks everyone for all the reference and tips. I am fully answered. Any hussles from here I will take them up with HP.

ITRC rocks!!
Don't panic