108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA8k VDISK preferred path

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

EVA8k VDISK preferred path

On EVA8000, I am forcing Vdisks to be preferred to alternate controllers. After selecting the load balancing policy last week, today I checked Vdisk property, my selection remains same (Preferred path - Controller B with Failover/Failback) but Managing controller is A. See attached file. What does it mean? Why I am having managing controller as A when I preferred it to controller B. There are some disks exactly opposite to it (pref. A, managing controller B). I didn't have any controller restart or something like that in past week. Also, some of the disks are showing Prefered path - Controller A Failover/Failback and Managing controller is also A.

If anyone can explain in detail would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

There is no attachment, but a host can potentially overwrite the path preferrence. It is also possible that the EVA has found out that most traffic for a virtual disk was going through the proxy controller and has thus moved controller ownership.

I have not tried it before, but I would check the controller event log - maybe you can find something.
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

here is the attachment...
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

My Conclusion is that EVA overrides the preferred-path setting, it's only the case when you restart the controllers it follows but after some period of time, it will change automatically.

Thanks Uwe for ur response.