5859 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EXSi 4.1 storage on a MSA60

xpa
Occasional Advisor

EXSi 4.1 storage on a MSA60

Hi,

I have a MSA60 with 12 disks of 1TB. The only way i can see something on esxi 4.1 storage is creating 4 arrays of 3 disks and create logical volumes of 2TB in raid 5. The problem is i just can see 1 volume and not the 4. Other way is security and space is left... 12TB become 8TB...if it works!

How can i use the MSA60 storage with esxi to use the most space and take advantage of raid?

Thanks in advance
9 REPLIES 9
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

VMware ESX cannot deal with disks larger then 2^32 blocks (=2TB) for several reasons...

Many SmartArray controllers allow you to create a large disk drive array and then put multiple logical disks in it. That gives you more space, because the redundancy information is needed for one array only.
xpa
Occasional Advisor

If i create a 12 disk array and create logical volumes of 2TB it seems obvious it should work, but does not.

I just see a non-space datastore

Should I ask, how to use MSA60 on exsi?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I am not fully sure what you mean by "non-space datastore". When you use "Add Storage" - you see no space in the "Capacity" column for the 'Disk/LUN'?

Can you provide a screenshot?
(Small .JPG, please - no .DOC or .RTF -- thanks)

The disk must have 4,294,967,295 or less blocks - it cannot be 'exactly' 2TB.
xpa
Occasional Advisor

Now a i created a 12 disk array.

After created 4 1.9TB logical volume raid5.

Now i just can add 1 datastore of 1.9TB, after add it, DISK/LUN becomes empty.

In controller storage i see that my p411 has 1 volume (just one of 1.9TB) plus a tape unit

My host is a DL380G6

After this, something is better, now i just can see 1 volume, because maybe of 2TB volume in previous condition, i could only see "non-space datastore" as you mentioned.

Should i create volumes smallers? I'll try 1TB just for test, or have you any good idea?

xpa
Occasional Advisor

I just created a 12 disk array, and 10 logical drives of 1TB each.

The result is the same, i have only 1 datastore of 1TB and don't have more disk/lun available.

The storage adapter continue show the tape unit and 1 disk of 1TB.

So?

I'd like to use the msa60 and i have installed all new firmware.

ideas please...
xpa
Occasional Advisor

picture 1

datastore view
xpa
Occasional Advisor

picture 2

extend device
xpa
Occasional Advisor

picture 3

storage adapters
Kyle Bedell

Thanks for this thread. I didnt realize the 2 TB limit. I too have an HP MSA60 but had no problems creating two 1.37 TB logical drives. They appeared as LUNs 0 and 1.

Both are seen and now used by VMWare.